Bryston SST² Series Amplifiers
- Product Name: SST² squared series amplifiers
- Manufacturer: Bryston
- Review Date: January 09, 2009 00:15
- MSRP: $2650 - $8000
- First Impression: Pretty Cool
Bryston, LTD showed off their SST² squared series amplifiers at CES, incorporating several upgrades to all eight models of the hand-built award-winning Bryston SST amplifier topology. Despite the “Squared Series” upgrades, pricing remains unchanged throughout the lineup. Bryston’s SST amplifier line begins with the 2B SST (100 watts per channel 8-ohms, 180 per channel 4-ohms at $2650 US) to the 28B SST (1000 watts mono into 8-ohms at $8000 US). Depending on the specific model, advances include:
- Balanced Input Stage: The redesigned input stage on all Bryston SST² amplifiers is fully balanced, providing superior EMI (electromagnetic interference) and RF (radio frequency) noise rejection resulting in improved signal to noise performance.
- Power Supply Circuit Board: The power supply boards in the new SST² design incorporate zero point-to-point wiring—all components plug directly into the power supply circuit board, also delivering improved signal to noise performance
- Output Chokes: The new output chokes designed specifically for the new SST² amplifier topology extend the high frequency bandwidth of the product at 20 kHz.
- Soft-Start Circuitry: Bryston amplifiers require an enormous supply of AC power when activated—the new soft-start circuitry in the SST² amplifiers ramp up power demand gradually, presenting less strain on the AC supply utilizing a micro-controller.
- Push Style Power Switch: Replacing Bryston’s membrane switch found on previous models, SST² amplifiers feature an extreme-duty push style power switch for improved functionality and durability.
- Simplified Circuit Topology: The SST² amplifiers utilize a reduced circuit board count and substantially less point-to-point wiring, delivering maximized operating efficiency and stunning musical clarity and detail through improved signal to noise levels.
- New power supply transformer design: The SST² amplifiers employ a redesigned power supply transformer that delivers instantaneous current while reducing noise.
Bryston started shipping the complete line of SST² amplifier series to authorized dealers January 1st, 2009.
For more information please visit www.bryston.ca.
Unless otherwise indicated, this is a preview article for the featured product. A formal review may or may not follow in the future.
Confused about what AV Gear to buy or how to set it up? Join our Exclusive Audioholics E-Book Membership Program!