Bryston SST² Series Amplifiers
- Product Name: SST² squared series amplifiers
- Manufacturer: Bryston
- Review Date: January 09, 2009 00:15
- MSRP: $2650 - $8000
- First Impression: Pretty Cool
Bryston, LTD showed off their SST² squared series amplifiers at CES, incorporating several upgrades to all eight models of the hand-built award-winning Bryston SST amplifier topology. Despite the “Squared Series” upgrades, pricing remains unchanged throughout the lineup. Bryston’s SST amplifier line begins with the 2B SST (100 watts per channel 8-ohms, 180 per channel 4-ohms at $2650 US) to the 28B SST (1000 watts mono into 8-ohms at $8000 US). Depending on the specific model, advances include:
- Balanced Input Stage: The redesigned input stage on all Bryston SST² amplifiers is fully balanced, providing superior EMI (electromagnetic interference) and RF (radio frequency) noise rejection resulting in improved signal to noise performance.
- Power Supply Circuit Board: The power supply boards in the new SST² design incorporate zero point-to-point wiring—all components plug directly into the power supply circuit board, also delivering improved signal to noise performance
- Output Chokes: The new output chokes designed specifically for the new SST² amplifier topology extend the high frequency bandwidth of the product at 20 kHz.
- Soft-Start Circuitry: Bryston amplifiers require an enormous supply of AC power when activated—the new soft-start circuitry in the SST² amplifiers ramp up power demand gradually, presenting less strain on the AC supply utilizing a micro-controller.
- Push Style Power Switch: Replacing Bryston’s membrane switch found on previous models, SST² amplifiers feature an extreme-duty push style power switch for improved functionality and durability.
- Simplified Circuit Topology: The SST² amplifiers utilize a reduced circuit board count and substantially less point-to-point wiring, delivering maximized operating efficiency and stunning musical clarity and detail through improved signal to noise levels.
- New power supply transformer design: The SST² amplifiers employ a redesigned power supply transformer that delivers instantaneous current while reducing noise.
Bryston started shipping the complete line of SST² amplifier series to authorized dealers January 1st, 2009.
For more information please visit www.bryston.ca.
Confused about what AV Gear to buy or how to set it up? Join our Exclusive Audioholics E-Book Membership Program!