Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Parametric EQ System Review
- Product Name: SMS-1 Subwoofer Parametric EQ System
- Manufacturer: Velodyne Acoustics
- Performance Rating:
- Value Rating:
- Review Date: April 09, 2006 19:00
- MSRP: $ 749
- Automatic or manual subwoofer calibration
- On-screen display
- 8-band fully parametric EQ
- Includes microphone and various mounts
- Multiple SMS-1 units can be daisy-chained
- Works with any subwoofer
- 3rd octave smoothed frequency response graph
- Non independent EQ'd subwoofer outputs
- Inaccurate (aggressive) auto calibration
Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Parametric EQ System Introduction
We were introduced to the Velodyne SMS-1 system at the CEDIA show in Indianapolis last year and were instantly impressed with its potential for improving how subwoofers interact with the room. The SMS-1 is basically Velodyne’s flagship Digital Drive room correction software offloaded into a standalone system that allows it to be used with any (even *gasp* non-Velodyne) subwoofers. The SMS-1 is essentially an 8-band parametric EQ with variable frequency, Q, and gain that shows you a real-time smoothed graph of the room’s low frequency response from 15Hz to 200Hz via an on-screen display.
What does this mean for you? Well, in a practical sense, those of you desiring the most out of your subwoofer and room can make changes to your system in real-time and see the results on-screen. Additionally, once you’ve found the optimal positioning and phase settings, you can provide the final touches to your bass response using the integrated EQ system – taming room modes and eliminating some of the peaks and dips that are inherent to almost every system.
Confused about what AV Gear to buy or how to set it up? Join our Exclusive Audioholics E-Book Membership Program!