The Status of Plasma and LCD in the Industry
AUSTIN, Texas - Feb. 22, 2006 - DisplaySearch, the worldwide leader in display market research and consulting and part of The NPD Group, today released Q4'05 shipments and revenues for plasma TVs by brand, region, size and resolution. Shipments for 33 different plasma TV brands as well as numerous sub-brands are included in the latest report.
Worldwide plasma TV shipments rose 44% Q/Q and 109% Y/Y in Q4'05 to a record 2.7M units. Shipments exceeded expectations by 11% as PDP module suppliers stretched their capacity to meet demand in seasonally strong Q4. Despite stretching their capacity and exceeding expectations, plasma TVs actually lost share relative to Q3'05 at 40"-44" to LCD TVs which enjoyed over 300% Q/Q growth and at 50"-54" to microdisplay RPTVs on supply constraints. For the year, plasma TVs rose 109% to 5.9M units.
Despite tight supply, blended plasma TV prices continued to fall, dropping 9% Q/Q and 32% Y/Y to $2296 on growing competition with other technologies. Rapid unit growth offset lower prices resulting in an impressive 31% Q/Q and 41% Y/Y increase in revenues to $5.2B.
Regionally, record results were achieved in all regions.
- Europe gained share for the 3rd consecutive quarter, growing from 36% to 41% of the plasma TV market on a unit basis on 64% Q/Q and 144% Y/Y growth. Its Q4'05 share was its highest share to date. 42" enhanced definition (ED) plasma TVs dominate in Europe with more than a 50% share, but high definition (HD) plasma TVs did gain share rising from 33% to 36% of Europe's plasma TV shipments.
- Japan also gained share on over 100% growth following a slow Q3'05. Japan's share grew to 9.4% in Q4'05. 100% of Japan's plasma TVs are HD with 37" HD the single most popular plasma TV. In all other regions, 42" was the single most popular size.
- North American plasma TV shipments rose 35% Q/Q and 85% Y/Y, but still lost share falling from 30% to 28% of the global plasma TV market. 42"-43" HD plasma TVs maintained the highest share of the North American plasma TV market although the total HD share fell from 66% to 65% as price sensitive holiday demand boosted the 42" ED market. North America was also the only region where PDPs gained share at 40"-44" in Q4'05.
- China's plasma TV shipments were slower than expected in Q4'05 causing the region to lose share for the third consecutive quarter. China's share of the plasma TV market fell from 10% to 8% despite 15% Q/Q and 73% Y/Y growth as 40"-42" LCD TVs took significant share in China. 42" ED was the single most popular plasma TV type in China with a 75% share.
By size and resolution worldwide, 42" ED remained the single most popular plasma TV, but fell from a 50% to a 48% share with 42"/43" HD rising from 28.5% to 30%. The 50"+ share remained flat at 13% with the less than 40" share rising from 8% to 9% driven by Japan. The worldwide HD share rose from 47% to 50%.
- The top 6 brands dominate the plasma TV market accounting for an 83% share in Q4'05. Five of these six companies produce the plasma display modules internally or through sister divisions/companies.
- Panasonic continued to dominate the plasma TV market, earning a 26% share as shown in Table 1. It remained #1 in Japan, China and North America but slipped behind Philips for the top position in Europe. Due to supply constraints, it lost share to the #2 - #6 suppliers. By size and resolution, it remained #1 at 42" HD and 50", but fell behind LGE at 42" ED. It was also #1 at 37" ED and HD and 60"+.
- The #2 - #6 suppliers maintained their positions with Pioneer and Philips enjoying the fastest growth.
- LGE remained #1 in rest of world (ROW) and overtook Panasonic at 42" ED.
Table 1 Plasma TV Share and Growth Q4'05 Q3'05 Q4'05 Q/Q Ranking Share Share Unit Growth ------------------------------------------------- Panasonic 29.1% 26.0% 28% LGE 14.9% 15.4% 49% Samsung 13.7% 14.4% 51% Philips 10.7% 13.3% 79% Hitachi 6.5% 7.3% 62% Other 25.0% 23.5% 35% ------------------------------------------------- Total 100.0% 100.0% 44% -------------------------------------------------
The world's top two plasma TV brands, including a keynote by Panasonic North America's CEO and Chairman Yoshihiko Yamada, the President of the Plasma Display Coalition and a number of market analysts will address the outlook for the plasma TV market at the upcoming DisplaySearch US FPD Conference from March 21-23 in San Diego, California. For more information, please visit http://www.displaysearch.com/usfpd2006.
DisplaySearch's plasma TV market intelligence including shipments, forecasts, costs/price forecasts, design wins and supply/demand projections can be found in DisplaySearch's Quarterly Plasma Module and TV Shipment and Forecast Report and its Quarterly Global TV Shipment and Forecast Report. For more information on this report, please contact Richard Goldman at 312-952-5679 or [email protected]
DisplaySearch, an NPD Group company, has a core team of 33 employees located in North America and Asia who produce a valued suite of market forecasts, technology assessments, surveys, studies and analyses. The company also organizes influential events worldwide. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, DisplaySearch has regional operations in Chicago, Hong Kong, Houston, Kyoto, San Diego, San Jose, Seoul, Shenzhen, Taipei and Tokyo, and the company is on the web at http://www.displaysearch.com .
About The NPD Group
Since 1967 The NPD Group has provided reliable and comprehensive consumer and retail information for a wide range of industries. Today more than 1,400 manufacturers and retailers rely on NPD to help them better understand their customers, product categories, distribution channels and competition in order to help guide their business. Information from The NPD Group is available for the following major vertical sectors: apparel, appliances, automotive, beauty, consumer electronics, food and beverage, foodservice, footwear, home improvement, housewares, imaging, information technology, music, software, travel, toys, video games, and wireless. For more information, visit http:/www.npd.com.