Faroudja's New 10-bit Plus FLI8668 1080p Chip
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Oct. 18, 2005 - Genesis Microchip Inc., a world leader in the development of image processing technologies for flat-panel monitors, TVs and other consumer display products, today announced the availability of its latest series of single-chip, dual-channel flat-panel TV controllers, the Cortez Advanced product series. The first of this new product family, the FLI8668, has begun sampling to leading global TV manufacturers and offers true 10-bit plus performance, 1080p and WUXGA LCD/PDP/DLP panel support and is designed so that a single TV chassis supports worldwide video standards. The new controller series also offers next-generation Faroudja(R) video enhancement algorithms, an exclusive level of video quality technology previously achieved only by Faroudja Home Theater Systems.
"Having been the benchmark for video quality in the display controller industry for several years, Genesis is again raising the bar with this latest generation of advanced video processing controllers," said Raphael Mehrbians, Genesis Microchip's senior vice president of Product Marketing. "Unlike competitive solutions that offer 8-bit processing with 10-bit input/output, where dithering and truncation artifacts can occur, our new Cortez Advanced family of products offers a true 10-bit performance throughout the entire pipeline of the controller, providing unmatched video performance in a flat-panel TV application."
The FLI8668 offers several advanced, performance-driven features and technologies to support high demand dual applications including:
- High level of integration including two 3D, 10-bit IntelliComb(TM) video decoders and two channels of DCDi(R) by Faroudja video processing to support Picture-in-Picture (PIP) and Picture-by-Picture (PBP)
- True 10-bit performance throughout the entire device
Special performance features for enhanced video quality:
- Faroudja DCDi Cinema video format converter upgraded to 10-bits
- Blue Stretch and flesh-tone Correction
- Flexible 10-bit sharpening algorithms for main picture and PIP
- Integrated Analog Front End (AFE); includes two Triple ADCs
- Integrated cross-point switch
- Flexible AFE to ensure simple PCB design with direct connections to TV tuners and input video connectors
- Glueless connection to MPEG decoders to format and enhance High Definition video signals
- Support of many worldwide VBI standards for applications of Teletext, Closed Captioning, V-Chip, and other VBI services
- Standardized Cortez family of firmware for ease of migration across different hardware platforms within the Cortez family
The FLI8668 (Cortez Advanced) differs from the current generation of Cortez controllers (FLI8532) by featuring higher resolution 1080p and WUXGA (1920 x 1200) panel support, an upgraded processing pipeline from 8-bit to true 10-bit, a second 3D video decoder and by incorporating the next generation of Faroudja video enhancements.
About Genesis Microchip
Genesis Microchip Inc. is a leading provider of image processing systems enabling superior picture quality in flat-panel TVs and a variety of consumer and PC-display products. Featuring Genesis Display Perfection technologies and Emmy award-winning Faroudja video technologies, Genesis system-on-a-chip solutions are used worldwide by display manufacturers to produce visibly better images across a broad array of devices including flat-panel displays, digital TVs, projectors and DVD players/recorders. The Genesis technology portfolio features analog and mixed signal system-on-a-chip design, DCDi by Faroudja deinterlacing, TrueLife video enhancement, IntelliComb video decoding and includes over 185 patents. Founded in 1987, Genesis supports its leading brand-name customers with offices in the U.S., Canada, India, Taiwan, South Korea, China, Japan and Singapore. For more information about Genesis Microchip Inc. or Genesis Display Perfection technologies, please visit http://www.gnss.com .