Simaudio Moon 180 MiND Music Streamer Preview
- Product Name: Moon 180 MiND
- Manufacturer: Simaudio
- Review Date: January 09, 2012 19:00
- MSRP: $1,250
- First Impression: Mildly Interesting
- DLNA 1.5 support
- vTuner Internet Radio
- Supported formats: WAV (PCM), FLAC, FLAC HD, AIF, AAC, ALAC, MP3, WMA-9 and OGG Vorbis
- Digital outputs: S/PDIF (RCA), AES/EBU (XLR), and Optical (Toslink)
- Network: 100 Base-T RJ45 Ethernet, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- Wireless security: WEP, WPA and WPA2
- SimLink controller 2-way port
Simaudio showed off more than just their Moon phono preamplifier, they also introduced the Moon 180 MiND Music Streamer. MiND, an acronym for Moon intelligent Network Device, streams digitally stored music from a computer, Network Attached Storage (NAS) device, the internet, subscriber-based music services or a UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) enabled device to your audio system. Ultimately, MiND provides a simple means for efficient access to large collections of music, as well as the ability to organize the music to your own preferences. And, the included control software app works with the Apple iPhone, iTouch, iPad or any Android-powered device.
The diminutive Moon MiND can stream music either through a standard Ethernet connection or wirelessly over a Wi-Fi network. Digital music files in all common formats are supported up 24-bit/192kHz resolution, however a 16-bit/48kHz limit exists when streaming wirelessly between the location of your digitally stored music and the MiND. A jitter-free digital audio signal departs from the MiND streamer via any one of its three different digital outputs which is connected to a digital-to-analog-converter. Finally, if your audio system uses a Moon Preamplifier or Integrated Amplifier equipped with SimLink capability, you can control features such as input selection, volume and power on/off using the MiND control app. Basically, if you keep it in the family, then your iPad, iPhone or Android-powered device can become your system’s remote control.
The MiND technology will initially be available in the stand-alone Moon 180 MiND, but eventually it will made available as an optional module that can be incorporated into future Moon products, starting with the all new Moon 380D Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC).
Significant Design Features:
- Allows local playlists, gapless playback and silent track scanning
- Provides for Zone selection, Zone grouping and permanent Zone naming
- Support for DLNA 1.5
- vTuner Internet Radio
- Supported file formats: WAV (PCM), FLAC, FLAC HD, AIF, AAC, ALAC, MP3, WMA-9 and OGG Vorbis
- S/PDIF (RCA), AES/EBU (XLR), and Optical (Toslink) digital audio outputs
- Wired network interface via 100 Base-T RJ45 Ethernet
- Wireless network interface via IEEE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi with WEP, WPA and WPA2 encryption support
- SimLink controller port allows for 2-way communications between other compatible Moon components
The Moon 180 MiND will be available in April 2012 with an MSRP $1,250
Unless otherwise indicated, this is a preview article for the featured product. A formal review may or may not follow in the future.
Confused about what AV Gear to buy or how to set it up? Join our Exclusive Audioholics E-Book Membership Program!