DISH Updates Remote Access iPad App with Retina Support
- Watch live TV, DVR recordings and on-demand programs
- Stream premium and Blockbuster programs
- Performance improved and program browsing simplified
- New user interface leverages iOS5 and iPad 3 Retina display
DISH released it's iOS and Android Remote Access apps some time ago. To be perfectly honest, they got the job done, but didn't offer much in the way of stability or efficient use of the platforms. Now, DISH has completely reengineered the iOS app to take advantage of the iPad's larger screen - and also to address multi-tasking and ease-of-use. The new (and still free) app improves the performance and enhances the on-screen dashboard so customers can easily find and watch their favorite programs. Customers can continue to watch live and recorded TV anytime, anywhere using the app in concert with an Internet-connected DISH receiver and a Sling Adapter. On the iPad, DISH offers the added ability to stream thousands of titles from an expansive on-demand library of Blockbuster @Home titles and premium networks.
In addition to the on-demand programs, the DISH app lets customers with an iPad access shows recorded using PrimeTime Anytime, which we're currently using (and reviewing) as part of the new DISH Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR. PrimeTime Anytime allows customers, with one click, to record all of the primetime TV programming on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in high definition. Programs recorded with PrimeTime Anytime are available on the Hopper (and through the DISH Remote Access app) for eight days after they have aired.
"The enhanced app improves an already dynamic and engaging TV viewing experience on the iPad. The magic of our app is that it extends the value of DISH programming beyond the home. Customers can watch their programs anywhere and, with this upgrade, the viewing experience is even better."
- Vivek Khemka, vice president of Product Management at DISH
The enhanced DISH Remote Access app improves on-device video quality, particularly on the new iPad 3's Retina display, with the implementation of Apple’s HTTP live streaming (HLS) technology. The app features simple on-screen browsing that provides a responsive entertainment experience, including:
- A multi-tasking slider that allows users to simultaneously watch a program and, with the swipe of a finger, browse available video content without interrupting the current program on screen.
- A DVR tab that includes a PrimeTime Anytime section, allowing DISH customers with the new Hopper to watch on their iPad the primetime shows from ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC recorded on their DVR.
- A Blockbuster @Home-branded tab that allows users to quickly access thousands of on-demand movies and children’s programs for DISH customers who subscribe to this service.
- An On Demand tab that makes it easy for DISH customers to access on-demand titles from popular networks, including HBO, Cinemax, EPIX, Encore, Starz and MoviePlex.
- A Guide tab that has been visually enhanced and now uses color coding options to highlight select categories of programs, including movies, sports, shows, family and favorites selections.
To watch live TV on the iPad, subscribers just need a Sling Adapter from DISH and a compatible broadband-connected DISH HD DVR receiver, such as DISH’s Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR or the ViP 722K or ViP 922. This app is a definite improvement on the old one. Just the multi-tasking alone is worth the price of admission (by the way - that's a joke, the app is still free) and we loved the attention to detail in the retina graphics and the ability to search and play content more easily. And that's really it - the app is simply easier to use. It's more intuitive and more like a polished product as opposed to the more austere starting point of the original.
More information is available at www.dish.com/technology/tv-everywhere.
Confused about what AV Gear to buy or how to set it up? Join our Exclusive Audioholics E-Book Membership Program!