Marantz Cinema 30 AVR to Replace the SR8015

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would bet the C30 will measure as good as (or a touch better) the SR8015 that have the AKM dac chip, but better than those that have the TI chips. It won't do much better because aside from the slighly better dac chip (vs the AK4458), the rest appear to be practically the same. The new ones all have better dsp chip, and the option to use DLBC is one feature that the SR8015 and AV8805 cannot beat.

D

Deckard71

Junior Audioholic
I have been with the C30 one week and so far it is amazing. Very clean sound, maybe less warm than my previous Marantz but very pleasing sound. Stereo sounds superb

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have been with the C30 one week and so far it is amazing. Very clean sound, maybe less warm than my previous Marantz but very pleasing sound. Stereo sounds superb
Congratulations! Imo you picked a winner!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The thing I really like about the Cinema 30 is that it has dac filter options 1 and 2, just like the much more expensive AV10. So, both believers and non believers of the so called Marantz sound can easily AB the two and settle with the one they perceive as better. No more forum debate needed on that lol.. The other thing is, of course, those who are keen on getting the best possible DAC IC (me included) finally got their wish, no more mediocre dac chip used in the models below. If I hadn't bought my AVM, I would have seriously considered the C30 too as I don't need 15 channels, room is too small for that anyway.

Last edited:
P

Paul McNeil

Junior Audioholic
One question I have, does the AV10 (full disclosure, I own one) offer any advantages over the Cinema 30? Or, put another way, AV10 or C 30, with a separate power amplifier for the L/R? What's the current thinking on top-of-the-line separates (like the AV10) versus receivers (like the C 30)?

P

Paul McNeil

Junior Audioholic
The thing I really like about the Cinema 30 is that it has dac filter options 1 and 2, just like the much more expensive AV10. So, both believers and non believers of the so called Marantz sound can easily AB the two and settle with the one they perceive as better. No more forum debate needed on that lol.. The other thing is, of course, those who are keen on getting the best possible DAC IC (me included) finally got their wish, no more mediocre dac chip used in the models below. If I hadn't bought my AVM, I would have serious considered the C30 too as I don't need 15 channels, room is too small for that anyway.
Yeah, I have this choice on my AV10, Peng, but the unfortunate thing is, I'm old and don't hear much above 10k. But still I use filter 2 (no Marantz diminution of the highs, maybe someone listening in my home theather will benefit, of course, the REW measurements look better!).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One question I have, does the AV10 (full disclosure, I own one) offer any advantages over the Cinema 30? Or, put another way, AV10 or C 30, with a separate power amplifier for the L/R? What's the current thinking on top-of-the-line separates (like the AV10) versus receivers (like the C 30)?
Bragging rights, even better (State of the Art) measurements than great measurements. :D

The other factor is which amp are you using with your SOTA-AVP? Are you using an equivalent SOTA-Amp?

P

Paul McNeil

Junior Audioholic
Bragging rights, even better (State of the Art) measurements than great measurements. :D

The other factor is which amp are you using with your SOTA-AVP? Are you using an equivalent SOTA-Amp?
I have no idea if I'm power amp 'SOTA'! My power amps are NAD M25 (seven channel, for surrounds only six used), McIntosh M347 (seven channel, for center, and four other atmos surrounds, only five channels used}, and a Cary Cinema 5 (for left and right fronts, only two of five channels). I aim not to tax any of any of these, for example power supplies.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For real world use, the Cinema 30 should be just as good if you don't need the additional features the AV10 offers, such as:

- 15 channel processing vs only 13.
- Reference class DAC IC, vs the C30's "premier" DAC, but I am sure there will be no audible difference between those ICs.
- Balanced inputs and outputs.
- Better build quality, in terms of boards layout, shielding, better isolation, more power supplies for various parts to minimize interference.
Other resulting electrical/physical advantages from being separated from the heavy current power supply used in the C30 for the power amplifier section.

On money no object basis, the AV10 would still be my choice if I don't want to use an AVR, but for people who want to save some money, and/or want to use the C30's build in amps for the surround and height channels, then the Cinema 30 is probably the best choice out there.

P

Paul McNeil

Junior Audioholic
For real world use, the Cinema 30 should be just as good if you don't need the additional features the AV10 offers, such as:

- 15 channel processing vs only 13.
- Reference class DAC IC, vs the C30's "premier" DAC, but I am sure there will be no audible difference between those ICs.
- Balanced inputs and outputs.
- Better build quality, in terms of boards layout, shielding, better isolation, more power supplies for various parts to minimize interference.
Other resulting electrical/physical advantages from being separated from the heavy current power supply used in the C30 for the power amplifier section.

On money no object basis, the AV10 would still be my choice if I don't want to use an AVR, but for people who want to save some money, and/or want to use the C30's build in amps for the surround and height channels, then the Cinema 30 is probably the best choice out there.
Well, I'm hoping the build quality will make this my last AV purchase!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have no idea if I'm power amp 'SOTA'! My power amps are NAD M25 (seven channel, for surrounds only six used), McIntosh M347 (seven channel, for center, and four other atmos surrounds, only five channels used}, and a Cary Cinema 5 (for left and right fronts, only two of five channels). I aim not to tax any of any of these, for example power supplies.
NAD, McIntosh, and Carry Audio (made by ATI) amps are usually SOTA.

So ya passed. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
NAD, McIntosh, and Carry Audio (made by ATI) amps are usually SOTA.

So ya passed. :D
Monoprice's Monolith amps are also made by ATI. Are they also SOTA, if not then aren't they certainly close?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It depends what part of the device for such consideration, the whole thing, or just the design, of certain parts, circuitry, physical layout, shielding from interference, thermal control, specifications verified by bench measurements etc.

Complicated, but simple enough if we only consider specs and measurements. On that count then none of McIntosh, Cary Audio, ATI have such products, NAD does but only their Purifi, or may be certain Hypex based class D amplifiers.

McIntosh's would come close by all counts, but for one, their damping factor spec kind of suck, good enough for transparency, sure, but SOTA implies something that is head and shoulder above the normally accepted threshold.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Monoprice's Monolith amps are also made by ATI. Are they also SOTA, if not then aren't they certainly close?
As PENG says, perhaps not "SOTA" for most amps.

But I should have said "Prestigious high-end brands", not SOTA.

ATI, NAD, McIntosh, Cary Audio, Anthem, Krell, Bryston are examples of "prestigious high-end" brands to me.

Last edited:
W

WVO

Audiophyte
Hi,
I use the SR8012 with a setup 5.0.2
Kef R series (not the meta) speakers with front bi-amp mode with height 2 in use. So think 9 channels in use. I am considering several upgrades.
A sub KC62 or KC92.
Or an amplifier Marantz MM7025 2channel for the fronts for more power.
Or perhaps the MM7055 5channel for the fronts and surround L/R in bi-amp?

Or should I buy the cinema 30 because the cinema is that much better?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis