Marantz Cinema 30 AVR to Replace the SR8015

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Marantz Cinema Series finally has a replacement for the lauded SR8015 we favorably reviewed in 2020. The new Cinema 30 AVR ($4,500) now sits at the top of Marantz’s receiver lineup. It offers HDMI 2.1 support on every input, 11 channels of amplification, 13.4 channels of processing, ESS Sabre DACs, optional Dirac, 4 independent subwoofer outputs and more.

There's little doubt the flagship in the Masimo line up of AV receivers still belongs to the Denon AVR-A1H (MSRP: $6,500). The 70lbs Denon AVR-A1H has a slightly more powerful amplifier section rated at 150 watts/ch, but most importantly, it's the only AVR that they currently produce that offers 15 channels of amplification and processing. If you prefer a single box solution with 15.4CH of amplification and processing, the Denon A1H is still king of the hill but you'll have to pony up an extra $2k for it to grace your home theater.

If you don't ever plan on breaking the 13CH surround barrier, we'd suggest opting for the sexier and more economical Cinema 30 and adding a high-quality 2CH amp to power your main Left/Right channels so you can have a full fledged 9.4.4 or 7.4.6 speaker layout. This would be a killer combo with separates like performance without breaking bank.

cinema30.jpg

Read: Marantz Cinema 30 11.4CH AV Receiver Preview

Last edited:
N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
Great write up and comparisons! Thanks Jacob and Gene! Based on the testing and reviews of the 40 and AV/AMP10, I expect the 30 to have similarly great measurements and bulletproof usability. I want. But as Gene, Matt, James, and Don have said over and over, go with quality over quantity. SO, I'm saving a little extra to start my end game journey on some quality mains and pre/pro. My Denon AVR0X4700 w/GoldenEar SuperSat 60s and SuperSub X will have to suffice but I can still dream/drool can't I? The $6K I just gave to Noble & Cooley for more BASS-drums and floor toms took a toll on my wallet. But Gene recommends having MORE low frequency devices the majority of time and I want to even out room modes... By destroying them... LOL...

C

cardsdoc

Enthusiast
How do you think the Marantz 30 would compare to the Denon x6800h? They seem to share the same features other than Marantz's HDAM. Do you think there really would be any audible difference for home theater?

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
How do you think the Marantz 30 would compare to the Denon x6800h? They seem to share the same features other than Marantz's HDAM. Do you think there really would be any audible difference for home theater?
Exactly the same. The only difference is in what aesthetic you prefer and what you're willing to spend.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Cinema 30 power section is upgraded over the 6800 like thr SR8015 over the Denon equivalent a few years back.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting how all the Marantz (even the $1,700 Cinema 60) offer 5 YEAR Warranty, but the $3,500 Denon X6800 offers 3 YEAR Warranty.

C

cardsdoc

Enthusiast
Cinema 30 power section is upgraded over the 6800 like thr SR8015 over the Denon equivalent a few years back.
Thanks. Do you think that would really translate to any real world audible differences? Aside from the aesthetics and warranty differences it just seem like a hard sell for a rather significant $1000 difference. Particularly if you are running > 11 channels and using an ext amp for LCR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Guess that's why Marantz charges more?
2YR extra warranty + Aesthetics + all the myths of Marantz being higher-end and sounding better than Denon. :D

I know some guys who will only buy Marantz and never even look at Denon. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
2YR extra warranty + Aesthetics + all the myths of Marantz being higher-end and sounding better than Denon. :D

Yep and I'm the other way, think the Marantz porthole thing is an abomination, and have really considered Marantz very seriously since my 2270 back in the 70s, particularly for avrs. I did have a Pioneer with a 2yr warranty that went up in smoke shortly after that expired....but only Denon issues I had were refurbs and the issues showed up quick, even a 1 year warranty would have been sufficient (but died within free return period). 5 is nicer than 3, but just how often does that come into play?

H

HuberSnoobs

Audiophyte
Would the toroidal transformer in the C30 make any noticeable difference in sound over the X6800?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So, now receivers are getting really expensive. OK, there is a five year warranty, but if it blows up just after warranty, that is $1000.00 per year pretty close.

As usual 11 pretty small amp boards inside.

So now the AVP route is really competitive.

Marantz 7706. $3199.00

Monolith 3 channel amps X 2. $700.00

Monolith 5 channel amp. $415.00

Total: - $4314.00

Cinema 30. $4500.00

That is if you must have 11 channels. If you want less then price goes down accordingly. You can add as you want, or funds permit.

The AVP plus power amps, is far more likely to be more durable. It is the much better deal by far, and each unit won't weigh over 40 lb.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
So, now receivers are getting really expensive. OK, there is a five year warranty, but if it blows up just after warranty, that is $1000.00 per year pretty close.

Marantz 7706. $3199.00

Cinema 30. $4500.00

That is if you must have 11 channels. If you want less then price goes down accordingly. You can add as you want, or funds permit.

The AVP plus power amps, is far more likely to be more durable. It is the much better deal by far, and each unit won't weigh over 40 lb.
I actually think the outlier is the 7706. That hasn't tested well by anyone and offers much less functionality and features but costs north of $3K. I also bet we learn that the 30's amps are as good as/better than the 8015 and much better than the Monolith, which are no slight. They give great value for what they are. For me, great value and functionality would be the Monolith HTP-1 with some of their class D amps hidden away in a rack. But on my credenza next to my Technics turntable, I'll go Marantz 99 out of 100 times. But that's me.

D

Deckard71

Junior Audioholic

That’s me. I have a Marantz and will buy the Cinema 30. I have not considered Denon even for a second

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Marantz 7706. $3199.00

Cinema 30. $4500.00

Why the low power monolith amps, tho? Seems only avr level amps.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Marantz 7706. $3199.00

Cinema 30. $4500.00

Those monoprice amps are not Monolith and don't have as good noise and distortion as the internal amps of the Cinema 30. The 7706 preamp is not as good as what's in the Cinema 30. I would not go this route as an alternative to the Cinema 30.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks. Do you think that would really translate to any real world audible differences? Aside from the aesthetics and warranty differences it just seem like a hard sell for a rather significant $1000 difference. Particularly if you are running > 11 channels and using an ext amp for LCR.
Here are the upgrades from last generation products which carries over to the current ones as well.

Marantz SR8012 Advantages over the Denon AVR-X6500H:

• HDAM SA2 current feedback topology between preamp and power amp
  • 22,000uF, 81V capacitors x 2 vs 15,000uF, 73V capacitors (X-6500H)
  • Torodial 835VA transformer vs 750VA E-Core (X-6500H)
  • Separated symmetric construction vs single in-line (X6500H)
  • Copper plated chassis
  • More rigid top cover
  • Teflon tape on oscillator circuit for better damping

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here are the upgrades from last generation products which carries over to the current ones as well.

Marantz SR8012 Advantages over the Denon AVR-X6500H:

• HDAM SA2 current feedback topology between preamp and power amp
  • 22,000uF, 81V capacitors x 2 vs 15,000uF, 73V capacitors (X-6500H)
  • Torodial 835VA transformer vs 750VA E-Core (X-6500H)
  • Separated symmetric construction vs single in-line (X6500H)
  • Copper plated chassis
  • More rigid top cover
  • Teflon tape on oscillator circuit for better damping
Thanks for the details, but does the same sort of thing apply to the units in question?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis