Onkyo TX-NR1008 9.2 Channel Networked A/V Receiver Preview
- Seven 1080p capable HDMI inputs (V1.4a repeater) including 1 Front with 2 outputs
- THX Select2 Plus Certification
- isf Certified
- HDMI 1080p video upconversion by Faroudja DCDi cinema
- WRAT technology and discrete amp construction for cleaner sound
- TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding to support the latest Blu-ray technology
- PC Input
- Front-Panel USB Input for Memory Devices and iPhone/iPod Models (Enables Display of Album Artwork)
- Optional iPod Dock / HDradio module via U.Port
- 4 DSP Gaming Modes: Rock, Sports, Action, and Role Playing
- Audyssey MultEQ w/ Dynamic EQ & Dynamic Volume
- Power Consumption: 8.8A
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 17 1/8" x 7 13/16" x 17 1/8" (435 x 198.5 x 435.5 mm)
- Weight: 41 lbs. (18.6 kg)
Third down the line in the refresh Onkyo has made to its line up of receivers is the new TX-NR1008 networked model, updating the TX-NR1007. The TX-NR1008 is a 9.2 channel receiver that features a THX Certified Select 2 Plus amplifier section capable of making 135 watts at 8 ohms over 20 Hz to 20 kHz. The power supply is downgraded from the higher models to a single EI transformer, but the model does feature block construction that otherwise isolates the processing functionality from the power amplifier section.
Audio processing on the TX-NR1008 is provided by Burr-Brown DACs and it supports all of the latest lossless A/V codecs, Dolby PLIIz, Audyssey DSX, Audyssey MultiEQ XT, in common with the upper two models. Video processing, however, has been revised to a Faroudja DCDi Cinema chip, but the TX-NR1008 still retains the isf certified calibration features. Inputs and outputs are nearly identical for both digital and analog connections compared to the TX-NR5008 and the TX-NR3008. The exception is a reduction to 7 HDMI 1.4a 3D capable inputs, but the TX-NR1008 still has dual HDMI outputs. A front mounted USB port is capable of streaming audio files from flash memory and can provide Satellite Radio/iPod connectivity with an added docking station. The multi-zone functionality of the TX-NR1008 for zones 2/3 is identical as is support for streaming audio file formats, Internet radio, and Windows 7/DLNA certification.
Although a downgrade in the amplifier design to a single transformer, the TX-NR1008 still clocks in at a hefty 41 lbs and it retains nearly all of the functionality provided by the more expensive TX-NR5008 and TX-NR3008 models.
Audioholics hasn't yet done a formal review of this product, but we wanted to get as much information as possible to our readers in order to help them make the best possible purchasing decisions. If possible, we will provide additional info or even a product review at a later date. For more info, visit Onkyo USA.
Unless otherwise indicated, this is a preview article for the featured product. A formal review may or may not follow in the future.
Confused about what AV Gear to buy or how to set it up? Join our Exclusive Audioholics E-Book Membership Program!