Subwoofer(s) on the cheap.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Each main consists of 1 Maggie 2.7QR and an OB sub. Each OB sub contains 2 - 12" drivers driven by a 300+ watt amplifier. I limit these subs to 25hz & above, because being open baffle they can bottom out when driven hard during home theater special effects.

The pre/pro has the LFE driving 3 sealed subs in the rear of the room.
Well if that is not a Fred Karno system, then I don't know what is!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hmmm... A few weeks ago I tuned my 5 subwoofers to my room using REW. I did this independent of my Sound Processor (Maranttz AV-7704). Since then I have only been playing music, and it sounds pretty good (2 channel + subs).

Last night I watched the new Aquaman Movie. I wasn't impressed with the bass.

So tonight I reran Audyssey, with the following settings;

The fronts are set to large (they include an OB sub on each channel). I only allowed the Audyssey to tweak up to 500hz on the fronts but full range on the other 9 channels. I set the xover points on the surrounds and rears to 60hz, the center to 40hz and 80hz on the heights. I gave the 3 sealed subs a 3DB boost.

For testing I put in an old Blu-Ray of Hellboy 2. This time I was impressed with the bass. I watched ~10 minutes and switched back to watch a bit of the new Aquaman on HBO MAX. I still wasn't impressed (I'll poke around in the video to see if there is any good infrasonic bass later). So I busted out a 4K HDR Atmos copy of the Justice League. Yup the bass sounds darn right acceptable.

I guess the urgency for a pair of subs isn't there, so I can keep "shopping..." But I am still looking and plotting.

BTW, the whole system contains;

Marantz AV-7704
2 Emotiva XPA-1 Gen-1 driving Magnepan 2.7 QRs.
2 GR Research OB subwoofer kits built in W cabinets, running parallel to the 2.7s.
1 Emotiva XPA-3 Gen-1 driving a homebuilt center channel and two Magnepan MMGs for rears.
1 Emotiva XPA-2 Gen-1 driving a pair of Magnepan .7s for surrounds.
1 Sherbourn 5/1500A driving 4 - Dayton 8" in ceiling speakers.
1 Rythmik Audio 15" sub kit in a largish sealed enclosure (15 or more years old).
2 Dayton 10" Titanics in small sealed enclosures driven by a Crown 202XTI, the sub drivers are also 15 or more years old,
OB subs wow how do they sound?
My ave is obsolete I can’t adjust anything after Odyssey. It sounds like you can do a lot with these newer ones. Titanics sound durable shame Their discontinued?
My Old DIY sub is stuck in the bedroom.. system I don’t use anymore. Should not had made a 15 . Too big .

A

aceinc

Audioholic
OB subs wow how do they sound?
My ave is obsolete I can’t adjust anything after Odyssey. It sounds like you can do a lot with these newer ones. Titanics sound durable shame Their discontinued?
My Old DIY sub is stuck in the bedroom.. system I don’t use anymore. Should not had made a 15 . Too big .
The OB subs are a good match for Maggies. They seamlessly blend in for music. For HT special effects they are a bit lacking. I run the sealed subs for low frequency sounds, mostly under 40hz.

My listening room is ~15'x25' so with tolerance from my wife it all fits.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. It’s time to add some ported horsepower in there.

P

paulcole33

Audiophyte
My dual 8" meets those requirements. I call it "The Pill" because when I play it loud, it works better than birth control.... Of course, abstinence or rejection would be more accurate, but The Pill just sounds better...lol. I could not believe how good this dual 8" turned out. It's a sealed sub with two passive radiators, and it sounds so good that I'd put it up against most any 12" sub. I compared it to my Klipsch KW-120-THX, and everyone liked The Pill better. I just sold it for $1000 on Facebook Marketplace to a guy that came over to buy a cheaper 12" sub, but once he heard The Pill, he said he had to have it. I truly wouldn't be saying any of this if it weren't true. It has two Dayton Audio RSS210HO 8 Ohm drivers, an Earthquake passive radiator on the bottom, and a Sunfire passive radiator on the back. I had a Klipsch SPL-150 amp lying around and used it. Very surprised with how well it's handling it. I'll have to post the measurements when I can show you, but here's a pic of it.

Attachments

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
My dual 8" meets those requirements. I call it "The Pill" because when I play it loud, it works better than birth control.... Of course, abstinence or rejection would be more accurate, but The Pill just sounds better...lol. I could not believe how good this dual 8" turned out. It's a sealed sub with two passive radiators, and it sounds so good that I'd put it up against most any 12" sub. I compared it to my Klipsch KW-120-THX, and everyone liked The Pill better. I just sold it for $1000 on Facebook Marketplace to a guy that came over to buy a cheaper 12" sub, but once he heard The Pill, he said he had to have it. I truly wouldn't be saying any of this if it weren't true. It has two Dayton Audio RSS210HO 8 Ohm drivers, an Earthquake passive radiator on the bottom, and a Sunfire passive radiator on the back. I had a Klipsch SPL-150 amp lying around and used it. Very surprised with how well it's handling it. I'll have to post the measurements when I can show you, but here's a pic of it.
This must be a joke it’s not a sealed sub :D. Duel 8 has less cone area than a 12” I think. Nice build either way !

A

aceinc

Audioholic
This must be a joke it’s not a sealed sub :D. Duel 8 has less cone area than a 12” I think. Nice build either way !
Dual 8", depending on the specific drivers of course is around the same cone area as a 12" (+/- ~15%).

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
There are subs then there are really Big subs!:oops: Dudes got not one but two in his setup!:oops: click the MSN link. Yeah it's a safe link.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis