18 inch subwoofer vs multiple 12 inch subwoofers with bookshelf speakers

T

thxbest

Enthusiast
I am currently in the process of selecting a subwoofer system to complement my bookshelf speakers (3x KEF LS50 Metas with 5.25-inch midrange drivers, 2x KEF Q150) to achieve a balanced and immersive audio experience. Size of the room is (19.5x13x8).

After thorough research, I have narrowed down my options to two configurations: 1x Rythmik F18 18-inch subwoofer or 2x Rythmik F12 12-inch subwoofers, with the possibility of expanding to two F18 or four F12s in the future.

My primary criteria for the subwoofer system are musicality, speed, transition and depth of bass response, particularly in the low-frequency extension below 18Hz. Additionally, I aim for seamless integration with my bookshelf speakers, ensuring a cohesive and satisfying soundstage for both music and movie content without overpowering the midrange and high frequencies produced by the bookshelf speakers.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations you may have regarding which configuration—either the single F18 or the dual F12s (possibly 2x F18 vs 4x F12) would offer better synergy with my bookshelf speakers and deliver a fuller, deeper sound with smooth and fast transitions across frequencies with 50/50 music and movie?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We all want that sort of perfection in subs but there can and somewhat have to be compromises. Rythmik wouldn't be my choice but I'd rather have multiple subs over single sub and rather have the dual 18s than two 12s. Musicality is a silly description, as is speed to an extent. You mean transient response instead of transition? Ideal integration is somewhat a fantasy but, dependent on gear and patience/persistence can certainly help.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would go in the middle with two fv15hp’s. Something I might worry about is the dynamic range of the kef’s vs some very capable subwoofers. Seamless blending with the mains will be helped more by the room, and placement and crossover integration than the subwoofer you buy. Although some are easier for some reason.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I am currently in the process of selecting a subwoofer system to complement my bookshelf speakers (3x KEF LS50 Metas with 5.25-inch midrange drivers, 2x KEF Q150) to achieve a balanced and immersive audio experience. Size of the room is (19.5x13x8).

After thorough research, I have narrowed down my options to two configurations: 1x Rythmik F18 18-inch subwoofer or 2x Rythmik F12 12-inch subwoofers, with the possibility of expanding to two F18 or four F12s in the future.

My primary criteria for the subwoofer system are musicality, speed, transition and depth of bass response, particularly in the low-frequency extension below 18Hz. Additionally, I aim for seamless integration with my bookshelf speakers, ensuring a cohesive and satisfying soundstage for both music and movie content without overpowering the midrange and high frequencies produced by the bookshelf speakers.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations you may have regarding which configuration—either the single F18 or the dual F12s (possibly 2x F18 vs 4x F12) would offer better synergy with my bookshelf speakers and deliver a fuller, deeper sound with smooth and fast transitions across frequencies with 50/50 music and movie?
You're looking for the underlined qualities in frequencies below 18Hz? That's below human hearing. What in the world are you listening to? Or I should say, "What in the world are you trying to listen to?"

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You're looking for the underlined qualities in frequencies below 18Hz? That's below human hearing. What in the world are you listening to? Or I should say, "What in the world are you trying to listen to?"
Lists of movies go at least that low. At that point, it’s more about shaking your guts! TR is pretty addicting.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
2x F18 would be the most powerful . The difference between the 15 and 18 I don’t know. You could look.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I would go in the middle with two fv15hp’s. Something I might worry about is the dynamic range of the kef’s vs some very capable subwoofers. Seamless blending with the mains will be helped more by the room, and placement and crossover integration than the subwoofer you buy. Although some are easier for some reason.
Yeah, I wouldn't crossover lower than 100hz and would prefer higher, then I wouldn't be concerned about the mid woofer keeping up.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I wouldn't crossover lower than 100hz and would prefer higher, then I wouldn't be concerned about the mid woofer keeping up.
Agreed. That would definitely help. Might cause other FR or location issues, but you’d have to dig in and measure to know for sure. The room isn’t really big, but not really small either. Despite my preference for large subs, I think maybe a pair of RSL 12s would work to good effect.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard my friend's 18" sub and felt it was overkill unless you have a really large room. IMO 15s are about the sweet spot and could be the right choice for what you are doing. I agree, the FV15HP is probably going to give you the best results. My room at the time, with the single 15, was 14x21with a cathedral celling.

My previous sub was very large 15" sonosub driven by a Rythmik amp and tuned to I believe 17.5Hz. It had output down to about 14Hz. Obviously, I could not verify that by listening, but the meter showed it and so did the closet door. At about 22 Hz, that door would rattle like crazy, so I had to leave it open when watching loud movies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis