Will Apple Vision Pro Revolutionize Personal Computing & Entertainment?

Will headsets like Vision Pro replace your home theater system someday?

• No, you'll have to take my component AV system from my cold dead hands!

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Yes, it's an important milestone in future computing & home entertainment.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Apple wants to revolutionize personal computing and personal entertainment in its first new product announcement in years. By nearly all accounts from those who have tried it, Apple seems to have nailed it with the performance of its mixed-reality headset that's due to ship next year. In Vision Pro, Apple has created an impressive device bringing the uniquely Apple-style organic user-experience with loads of tricks up its visor that brought significant wow-factor to test audiences and tech press alike that all seem thoroughly seduced. But is there really a broad market for a computer you wear on your face?

But more importantly, after the novelty has tailed off, will we maintain our enthusiasm for using a headset to engage with our entertainment media? Or will we find ourselves returning to our purpose built home theater or entertainment systems for movies, music and video games?

This article will look at the good, the bad and the downright creepy in Apple Vision Pro.

Apple Vision Pro: The Good, the Bad and the Creepy
apple-vision-pro-GBC.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think, as has been the case with VR so far, that the novelty wears off as you stated. As much as they want this to be the future of entertainment, I don't feel it will really become a mainstream thing. Certainly not at that price. I think it will remain a niche product because there IS a market for it, just not a big one.

On Point!
Meta had been planning on this for years and Apple has just made the headlines. Mark Zuck must be very salty though LOL.
Meta is already on their second version of their Quest headset (which they bought, Oculus lol) and the third comes out in the fall. VR, not mixed reality though. Microsoft has had the hololense out for years now as well. The enterprise edition actually costs more than the Apple one.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I will wait for the brain implant. Apple has taken VR, more mixed reality, headset to the next level and given it the power of a full PC/Laptop. The tech does look amazing, but at $3500, it's probably going to be a hard pass for most consumers.

G

George MacDonald

Enthusiast
It appears that Apple is, once again, missing the boat on Spatial Music. While they produce truly remarkable, great sounding music they funnel it into stereo output devices like AirPods. This, for some reason, continues that trend. For any who have listened to Spatial Audio on a 5 or 7 channel system and compared it to two channel systems like Airpods they know they are world's apart. It's like comparing mono to stereo. (Yes, Apple does a remarkable job producing spatial audio on those 2 channel devices -- but, it simply cannot compete with a TRUE spatial audio from a 5 or 7 channel system or better).

G

George MacDonald

Enthusiast
We need to be cautious evaluating new Apple technology based on today's uses. The Apple Watch is a great example: When it was released nobody realized that it would lead the way into a new world of health and health tracking. The iPhone was the same: Not even Steve Jobs understood how it would transform "phones" and, even he kept it small so it could easily be used as a phone. But, today, it's phone function is a minor part of what the iPhone is used for. In the case of this headset it is notable that Apple essentially exported the iPad OS into it: One new use would be for technicians -- even surgeons -- to be guided by instructions like "Cut here!, Staple here!"

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I’ll wait for the contact lenses.;)
LOL!

The Apple Army seem to embrace everything Apple does as if it was some sort of divinity. Even when there are more divine products out there. I'm sure there will be a line out the A store to buy them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We need to be cautious evaluating new Apple technology based on today's uses. The Apple Watch is a great example: When it was released nobody realized that it would lead the way into a new world of health and health tracking. The iPhone was the same: Not even Steve Jobs understood how it would transform "phones" and, even he kept it small so it could easily be used as a phone. But, today, it's phone function is a minor part of what the iPhone is used for. In the case of this headset it is notable that Apple essentially exported the iPad OS into it: One new use would be for technicians -- even surgeons -- to be guided by instructions like "Cut here!, Staple here!"
We use the HoloLens for AR/VR training. Users can interact with a digital machine and see the steps, tools, and location of parts to service/assemble. Multiple people can be in this same session as well.

While it isn't entirely uncomfortable, I can tell you, even the redesigned enterprise HoloLens, wearing it over a long period isn't going to be enjoyable. The Apple one does not look to be changing that condition with their ski goggles. I just don't see people wearing these for long periods similar to working on a PC or watching videos.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Apple wants to revolutionize personal computing and personal entertainment in its first new product announcement in years. By nearly all accounts from those who have tried it, Apple seems to have nailed it with the performance of its mixed-reality headset that's due to ship next year. In Vision Pro, Apple has created an impressive device bringing the uniquely Apple-style organic user-experience with loads of tricks up its visor that brought significant wow-factor to test audiences and tech press alike that all seem thoroughly seduced. But is there really a broad market for a computer you wear on your face?

But more importantly, after the novelty has tailed off, will we maintain our enthusiasm for using a headset to engage with our entertainment media? Or will we find ourselves returning to our purpose built home theater or entertainment systems for movies, music and video games?

This article will look at the good, the bad and the downright creepy in Apple Vision Pro.

Apple Vision Pro: The Good, the Bad and the Creepy
View attachment 62559
Good article, the bad is the $3,500 price and that’s a creepy picture!

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
We need to be cautious evaluating new Apple technology based on today's uses. The Apple Watch is a great example: When it was released nobody realized that it would lead the way into a new world of health and health tracking.
Polar released a watch based fitness tracker in the early '80. Fitbit and Garmin had the first modern versions, with GPS and downloadable to a computer, in the early 2k. While the first smartphone was made by IBM in the early 90s, along with apps, the modern versions as we know them came along around 2007 and 8.

Three years before the apple watch came out in 2015, the Fitbit and Garmin watches had on-phone apps and were able to download to smartphones. Garmin watches were around before Fitbit, but Fitbit started the fitness tracker trend and had more brand association.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I care deeply about something applish, but it has only four letters AAPL.
That's a different sort of perspective :) Never invested in them outside of a general pool myself....(i.e. only from a stock perspective rather than a useful perspective)

A

Arthur Watson

Enthusiast
People never really took to wearing 3d glasses, so I wonder how many will use these, plus adding the cost of the unit, certainly not for me.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Good article, the bad is the $3,500 price and that’s a creepy picture!
HA! Thanks and yeah, I thought that pic was creepy and that was from Apple's own product marketing, kinda scary. Although the creepiest thing about it if we're not so concerned with all the data it's collecting about users is if it becomes the norm that anyone is able to video everything without anyone else's knowledge. At least today people have to hold up a phone which is pretty obvious.

I recently had a lady in a grocery store parking lot begin videoing me as she claimed that I hit her car with my door as I opened it to load a couple of bags inside. Not knowing what I might be getting myself into I told her camera to make sure you get this... I demonstrated my car door opening as wide as it goes and still leaving about a foot clearance before it could make contact with her car. She spent several moments videoing the side of her car as I drove away. I haven't received any insurance claims in the mail so I think she eventually came to the same conclusion I did. But I think giving everyone cameras and platforms to make any out-of-context interaction go viral online is deteriorating any social trust left in our society.

jinjuku

jinjuku

This is an Apple with nothing fresh or new to offer. Even Jobs finally ran out of ideas. But the ones he brought were phenomenal.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Tech hit the wall for me about 10 years ago. Where the next great ideas all became unsurprisingly predictable, kind of like the rest of the entertainment industry.

Watching the masses with their phones so firmly planted up their asses 24/7 has pretty much turned me off to personal tech appliances. This looks like yet one more thing to zombify them even further.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis