everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
VPI Aries 3, Benz Micro 'Gulwing' . Phono-pre is a a Fosgate Signature.

FWIW, I've gotten some more positive feedback on the WiiM Pro Plus, thks again !
The Pro Plus is great and works as roon endpoint, the non Plus isn't horrible either....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is for my 2 channel rig, shown below........

View attachment 67406

as you can see it's a basic source > pre > amp. My SACD player, a Marantz 'Ruby' has IMO a good DAC. So, from there I go ............
With my old 2ch system I use an Audio Chromecast to stream to it from a phone, tablet or computer over wifi. Too bad they took those off the market, quite a good deal for updating old gear with a $15 dongle.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’m curious when I see these Network Streamer components from places like Cambridge or Rose or Naim. They’re usually priced well over $1k and I’m not sure I understand the point. Most modern AVRs or streaming devices like Roku or AppleTV all contain the same apps for Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify/whatever, so what do these devices add and why are they necessary? I guess if you’re running a 2 ch system and don’t have the AVR it might make sense, but even then you can get a Sonos Port for ~ $500 that does the same thing (I’m sure there are probably cheaper alternatives that I’m forgetting to). Are these just appealing to people with money to burn or is there something I’m missing?
over $1k wow that’s a. Lot for a Streamer, I don’t understand why anyone buys them?
Special features ??

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
My oldest son is trying his best to get me up to speed inso far as streaming. I have none, only SACD/CD and LP playback. One of his recommendations is this one ...........

any others of comparable quality I should consider ?
Did you eventually decide on a streamer for your (excellent) 2 channel system? FYI I was hesitant to purchase a streamer for years since I knew nothing about them. When I bought the WIMM Pro Plus I just downloaded the app to my phone, connected it to my 2-channel receiver with RCA cables, then did a search with my Android phone to connect. Finally did a search on Amazon Music since I have Prime and started selecting playlists or artists. Way easier than I thought it would be.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Did you eventually decide on a streamer for your (excellent) 2 channel system? FYI I was hesitant to purchase a streamer for years since I knew nothing about them. When I bought the WIMM Pro Plus I just downloaded the app to my phone, connected it to my 2-channel receiver with RCA cables, then did a search with my Android phone to connect. Finally did a search on Amazon Music since I have Prime and started selecting playlists or artists. Way easier than I thought it would be.
He's out of the country on vacation.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
over $1k wow that’s a. Lot for a Streamer, I don’t understand why anyone buys them?
Special features ??
Some people believe that these extra expensive streamers somehow take some pure digital files and make them sound even better. :D

Some people love their aesthetics.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Some people believe that these extra expensive streamers somehow take some pure digital files and make them sound even better. :D

Some people love their aesthetics.
Yeah wish I could afford fancy stuff too but I’m not wasting it on useless gear that doesn’t improve sound quality when I finally can. Still no luck with job search sites I think most of it is spam and stuff I can’t do . Gotta find something before my avr dies .

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Still no luck with job search sites I think most of it is spam and stuff I can’t do
Some signs of a job offer scam are if the recruiter asks for personal information before hiring you, the job seems too good to be true, the company wants you to pay for something, or if communication is unprofessional.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah wish I could afford fancy stuff too but I’m not wasting it on useless gear that doesn’t improve sound quality when I finally can. Still no luck with job search sites I think most of it is spam and stuff I can’t do . Gotta find something before my avr dies .
I read that unemployment rate is higher than 5% in some states. It seems very bad. For many unfortunate folks, wasting money on things like $3K streamers and other things would be unwise.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I read that unemployment rate is higher than 5% in some states. It seems very bad. For many unfortunate folks, wasting money on things like $3K streamers and other things would be unwise.
It’s significantly higher i researched it I was bored the people out of labor force aren’t considered and the people looking for a job aren’t surveyed to see if they’re still looking. So they formulate their numbers out of thin air ..

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
It’s significantly higher i researched it I was bored the people out of labor force aren’t considered and the people looking for a job aren’t surveyed to see if they’re still looking. So they formulate their numbers out of thin air ..
Too bad they don't have figures on those that choose to leech off of their parents forever, and spend all day and night posting on audio forums concerning things they will never be able to buy and know very little about.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Too bad they don't have figures on those that choose to leech off of their parents forever, and spend all day and night posting on audio forums concerning things they will never be able to buy and know very little about.
I know a lot of folks post covid who have "retired" or are "retiring" early. I plan on "retiring" this year myself. Well before 65yo. :) What's interesting is in my research it appears the IRS only considers people "officially" retired when they start collecting SS.

If we're not looking for work, we're technically not in the labor force and therefore not unemployed. There could be a time gap where we are counted as unemployed. Or maybe not being we willingly left our jobs. I have no idea how these nuances work.

I tend to look at Job Growth. Which is essentially counted by the amount of people who started or stopped paying Taxes and SS each month. Like unemployment t's still a survey and estimate. IMO, it's a better indication of the economic outlook. From economics a good number to have unemployed is 3-4%. Otherwise, there's no room for growth.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know a lot of folks post covid who have "retired" or are "retiring" early. I plan on "retiring" this year myself. Well before 65yo. :) What's interesting is in my research it appears the IRS only considers people "officially" retired when they start collecting SS.

If we're not looking for work, we're technically not in the labor force and therefore not unemployed. There could be a time gap where we are counted as unemployed. Or maybe not being we willingly left our jobs. I have no idea how these nuances work.

I tend to look at Job Growth. Which is essentially counted by the amount of people who started or stopped paying Taxes and SS each month. Like unemployment t's still a survey and estimate. IMO, it's a better indication of the economic outlook. From economics a good number to have unemployed is 3-4%. Otherwise, there's no room for growth.
So is the current rate of unemployment good?

Unless the “current” rate is incorrect.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Better hope your parents don't die first....there are no electric outlets under the bridge last time I looked.
I definitely don’t get the history between you two. You don’t believe that he’s really looking for a job, but just can’t find a decent job suited for him?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I definitely don’t get the history between you two. You don’t believe that he’s really looking for a job, but just can’t find a decent job suited for him?
Not just between me and him....he's been on here and on AVS for years telling everyone his issues with employment, insomnia, yada yada, and been given many lectures here and there by many posters.
He was gone for about 6 months and now came back....I guess it's not because he's working or his parents threw him out finally.

I even made sound job suggestions to him before I knew better.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Not just between me and him....he's been on here and on AVS for years telling everyone his issues with employment, insomnia, yada yada, and been given many lectures here and there by many posters.
He was gone for about 6 months and now came back....I guess it's not because he's working or his parents threw him out finally.

hard to do a standing job when I got a bad back injury from helping my uncle clean drains during the pandemic but i somehow get blamed like I quit … even the low pay petshop requires heavy lifting so rule that out and standing all day I will end up in a wheelchair unable to walk . Eventually…

how is it possible to work anywere if you can’t sleep early enough? No way do I have the skills or money to own my own business:.:: and I got no idea what Cisco is but I got enough debt and no pc … so while it’s a high paying job those peoples suggestions were no help. I could keep applying for phantom jobs that don’t exist .. but indeed and multiple other sites dont work . I’m not making any money not working Infact debt keeps getting bigger .

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

I seem to recall I posted job and career suggestions in response to one of his posts. His response made it clear he’s unwilling to do one damn thing to change his situation. I concluded he just wants attention, he’s not interested in actually doing anything

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis