The Ultimate Battle Sub.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
What would you build, even if it needed wheels on it to move it, to bring out front of your house and aim at the neighbor's house across the street, to stifle the ignoramus kid/parents across the street with the Honda car system , that loves to rattle everyone's windows early on weekend mornings? Something that can't be easily beaten or one-upped easily? Something not ridiculously expensive, perhaps even using multiples of some budget drivers that perform above their price point? Or even if they do try to one-up it, it becomes pointless to do so. What would you power it with?

I know there is ridiculous subs online with giant drivers that cost thousands, and that would be the most impactful visually as well, but these igno-imports need to be thumped back hard.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
GRS woofers make for a good budget driver and you wouldn't need low bass just 40hz and up..

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
GRS woofers make for a good budget driver and you wouldn't need low bass just 40hz and up..
That is good to know. That's cheap enough, even to experiment with.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What would you build, even if it needed wheels on it to move it, to bring out front of your house and aim at the neighbor's house across the street, to stifle the ignoramus kid/parents across the street with the Honda car system , that loves to rattle everyone's windows early on weekend mornings? Something that can't be easily beaten or one-upped easily? Something not ridiculously expensive, perhaps even using multiples of some budget drivers that perform above their price point? Or even if they do try to one-up it, it becomes pointless to do so. What would you power it with?

I know there is ridiculous subs online with giant drivers that cost thousands, and that would be the most impactful visually as well, but these igno-imports need to be thumped back hard.
What is the budget? There is a Dayton 12" driver that looks promising.Two of them in a box around 5 cu.ft would be pretty potent with an amp around 1000 watts give or take a little. I could certainly model those for you. They are $280" each.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What is the budget? There is a Dayton 12" driver that looks promising.Two of them in a box around 5 cu.ft would be pretty potent with an amp around 1000 watts give or take a little. I could certainly model those for you. They are $280" each.
Seems like he is more interested in an SPL war than fidelity. I would think some cheap pro drivers would be the ticket for this.

You would be better off calling police and having your neighbors cited for noise ordinance violations.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seems like he is more interested in an SPL war than fidelity. I would think some cheap pro drivers would be the ticket for this.

You would be better off calling police and having your neighbors cited for noise ordinance violations.
You are right, but Pro drivers won't do the job. They are high efficiency but also high Fs so most have trouble getting much below 40 Hz.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You are right, but Pro drivers won't do the job. They are high efficiency but also high Fs so most have trouble getting much below 40 Hz.
There are exceptions about pro sub drivers however. Some of the Danley Labs subs do the job. Here is one of them:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

There are exceptions about pro sub drivers however. Some of the Danley Labs subs do the job. Here is one of them:
Yes, but that is a complete sub, and he wants to build it. In any event that unit would not have a typical pro driver spec, or it could not deliver that performance.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

I had thought about that. But it's a kid, so I just wanted to disrupt his disruption or muddy up his good time a bit and see how they like it or it would at least be amusing if old gringo across the street surprised them. Also, I'm in between DIY projects and I have not built anything wild yet. I have videos I have made of to-do's out in the yard and you can hear all the noise these people make allover the neighborhood now. It used to be so quiet here.

My new next door neighbor was doing it to us with his outdoor music system when they moved in and well past 11 at night. His carport/patio is right between our houses so it had a good deal of bounce/echo and it's the wall that my music system is at. What they hadn't figured on was my diysoundgroup/Bagby Tempests and subs stepping allover their music. I was just trying to drown them out on my end so that I didn't hear theirs. It was not until I was checking on the dogs outside that I heard what I was doing to them. Their Mariachi/dance music and my reggae/dub and electronic music do not mix. The bass from mine was totally stepping on theirs, and mine was indoors. Anyway, after a few times they sensed what was going on and now they don't do it as much anymore except holidays and some weekends spread out far enough between.

I am in between DIYs and was just mulling over some ideas and when I posted this thread today, the kid was letting it rip and I was annoyed. It's pretty much all the time now and if it isn't the kid across the street, it's someone else around here. At that moment, I had imagined putting together a pro PA system and just letting it rip with the music I like, for a change, if we're going to be listening to loud music all the time now. I think my cousin was telling me recently he used to work for Danley Sound, and was also the sound guy for some bands where he lives just south of me, and said he has a lot of stuff I might be interested in.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
If this is going to be the new norm with all these outdoor systems around me now, I may go through with it. These people are annoying and rude. I was just thinking of dishing it back and was pretty annoyed when I made this thread. We will see if they escalate from here. If so, I'd probably not want to go above $2k all in and it would be awhile so I have time to research.

I appreciate the offer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis