SVS 3000 In-Wall Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SVS recently announced and introduced their first architectural product, an in-wall subwoofer. Known for their high-quality, high-performing, and high-value box subwoofers, this move came as a surprise. SVS has traditionally been a direct sales company, only recently expanding into dealer networks. In-wall subwoofers typically cater to integrators, marking a significant step for SVS in partnering with integrators.

However, considering SVS's expertise in crafting exceptional box subwoofers, I wondered if their in-wall subwoofers could achieve the same level of performance. At $1,999 for a single subwoofer and amplifier, or $2,999 for two subwoofers and an amplifier, this product is competitively priced for the market, though not inexpensive. To discover my thoughts on the new 3000 series in-wall subwoofers, read our full review.

READ: SVS 3000 In-Wall Subwoofer Review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Great article very well written! Sounds like a great sub for say a small bedroom or very small room that you need to retrofit where space is at a premium.

A

Aerial Acoustic Guy

Audiophyte
Hi Matt - Thanks for the detailed review. I hear you about these not replacing a big box sub, but what about a pair of these on walls supplementing a single box ported sub (port tuned to 19hz)? My goal would be to fill the nulls left by my single 12.5“ sub. Thanks in advance.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
SVS recently announced and introduced their first architectural product, an in-wall subwoofer. Known for their high-quality, high-performing, and high-value box subwoofers, this move came as a surprise. SVS has traditionally been a direct sales company, only recently expanding into dealer networks. In-wall subwoofers typically cater to integrators, marking a significant step for SVS in partnering with integrators.

However, considering SVS's expertise in crafting exceptional box subwoofers, I wondered if their in-wall subwoofers could achieve the same level of performance. At $1,999 for a single subwoofer and amplifier, or $2,999 for two subwoofers and an amplifier, this product is competitively priced for the market, though not inexpensive. To discover my thoughts on the new 3000 series in-wall subwoofers, read our full review.

READ: SVS 3000 In-Wall Subwoofer Review
James thanks for the review. I’ve been looking at in-wall subs since I’ve had a positive experience with a pair of in-wall speakers. One of the big challenges with equipment is placing it in smaller rooms and the acceptance factor. In-wall is a solution for both. I Love my SVS subs and SVS customer service so these are definitely worth exploring.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Matt - Thanks for the detailed review. I hear you about these not replacing a big box sub, but what about a pair of these on walls supplementing a single box ported sub (port tuned to 19hz)? My goal would be to fill the nulls left by my single 12.5“ sub. Thanks in advance.
Not speaking for Matt, but imo a matching sub to your current one would be much easier to integrate. You can actually create more issues than you solve using mismatched subs and once you cut the drywall you’re committed.

A

Aerial Acoustic Guy

Audiophyte
Not speaking for Matt, but imo a matching sub to your current one would be much easier to integrate. You can actually create more issues than you solve using mismatched subs and once you cut the drywall you’re committed.
Unfortunately, this is not an option (I wish it was).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
James thanks for the review. I’ve been looking at in-wall subs since I’ve had a positive experience with a pair of in-wall speakers. One of the big challenges with equipment is placing it in smaller rooms and the acceptance factor. In-wall is a solution for both. I Love my SVS subs and SVS customer service so these are definitely worth exploring.
This is Mathew Poes' review, not mine. I just made a forum post for him.

X

XaVierDK

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for an extensive review, Matt.
To me, running four on-wall dual-10" subs with many of the same design limitations (minimal cabinet volume, high Fs, limited deep bass output), from Artcoustic around 2010, it's interesting how close in design thinking these products are when considering the time-gap. Biggest difference is DSP and more efficient and powerful amp, both things I've solved externally rather than through a boxed solution.

For me personally, I ended up removing a driver from each enclosure. The chosen Peerless woofers simply cannot reach any meaningful excursion in the given volume within their power handling.
Four drivers in four enclosures give me more than 3dB more output for the same power due to being able to better utilize the mechanical properties of the individual driver.

All of this to say, I'm kinda curious what led SVS to decide a dual-driver setup was their best course of action. Sure, the drivers are probably better suited to the enclosure than what I'm working with, but it seems Qtc and Fs are much the same, as is the CEA burst numbers, being close to validating what I've observed with my subs in my room re. deep bass.

I'd love for you to compare this 3000 in-wall to the Next Level Acoustics in-wall which uses the SB Acoustics shallow-mount subwoofer drivers. Those are specifically made for small enclosures but available stand-alone.

Best regards

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am going to tip a bucket of cold water on this unit. The fact is that it is a lot of money for something that is not much use. The F3 is very high as you would expect, and then you drive hard it below Fs and its native F3 and get what you would expect, a bucket load of distortion.

The physics is all against you, if you are going to place a sub in standard existing wall spacing.

Since we are talking a lot of money, you should consider some stud, drywall and paint instead. That is not that expensive, all these products I mentioned are cheap, so the cost is labor which you can eliminate with DIY.

So, I think it is the depth of the sub that is important. TL designs are ideal for this and you can get the most accurate bass around.

The other issue is that it allows you to get the electronics off the floor space.

I know which sub I would rather have and listen to.

Crossover set to 80 Hz.

X

XaVierDK

Audioholic Intern
I am going to tip a bucket of cold water on this unit. The fact is that it is a lot of money for something that is not much use. The F3 is very high as you would expect, and then you drive hard it below Fs and its native F3 and get what you would expect, a bucket load of distortion.

The physics is all against you, if you are going to place a sub in standard existing wall spacing.

Since we are talking a lot of money, you should consider some stud, drywall and paint instead. That is not that expensive, all these products I mentioned are cheap, so the cost is labor which you can eliminate with DIY.

So, I think it is the depth of the sub that is important. TL designs are ideal for this and you can get the most accurate bass around.

The other issue is that it allows you to get the electronics off the floor space.

I know which sub I would rather have and listen to.

Crossover set to 80 Hz.
At risk of insulting your work, I think it's slightly irrelevant what you *could* build instead of investing in the 3000.
It seems to me the customer for what you've done and the 3000 in-wall are not the same person, regardless that the 3000 is meant for easy retro-fittings and not for building an entire new wall around.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
At risk of insulting your work, I think it's slightly irrelevant what you *could* build instead of investing in the 3000.
It seems to me the customer for what you've done and the 3000 in-wall are not the same person, regardless that the 3000 is meant for easy retro-fittings and not for building an entire new wall around.
I think you have missed my point.

That SVS unit is not really a sub, and yet is expensive.

So you can not really design or build a sub to go in standard sub spacing.

So it you want a sub, it needs to be out of the wall, or you need a building project. The latter will likely give you good value for money and the former poor value.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

So it you want a sub, it needs to be out of the wall, or you need a building project. The latter will likely give you good value for money and the former poor value.
You mean the $2K SVS can only output 91dB at 31.5Hz and not much below that?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s kind of insulting that svs is asking 3k for the dual version of this. Reading the product page is like a def tech ad, or Bose ad. There is obviously a market for architectural speakers, but this is stupid. Many people think 800 bucks for an RSL 12s is too rich, and that thing is actually bada$$.
That said, I do appreciate the time and effort put into the review by Matt.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think all companies should offer to sell just the non-powered subwoofers (whether in-room or in-wall) WITHOUT having to buy their amplifiers.

In this case, the SVS IW sub could cost $800 each and the amp could cost $1200 as an option.

This way, people could use their own amps that they already have or choose less expensive alternatives like the Crown amps.

For example, for my next HT, I would get five dual-12” In-wall subs and continue to use my cool ATI fully balanced amps. :cool:

X

XaVierDK

Audioholic Intern

That is most likely true, and there are definite advantages to your approach. I'm just saying, there are also a niche of buyers who don't care for reconstructing an entire wall, AND don't care for box speakers, who would find the SVS to be their best option, though pricey and not exactly powerful it might be.

X

XaVierDK

Audioholic Intern
It’s kind of insulting that svs is asking 3k for the dual version of this. Reading the product page is like a def tech ad, or Bose ad. There is obviously a market for architectural speakers, but this is stupid. Many people think 800 bucks for an RSL 12s is too rich, and that thing is actually bada$$.
That said, I do appreciate the time and effort put into the review by Matt.
At least the spec page is honest. 107 dB at 32 Hz, 1/8th space lines up with the CEA-2010 2M RMS testing seen here.

I do find the marketing a bit hyperbolic. "No compromise", but you need 4 of them to hit reference at 30 Hz. That seems like an expensive No-compromise to me

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis