Starlink and Home Network Setup (and Help Needed)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I signed up for Starlink last year while it was unavailable, but knew it would be coming back fast to Cali so felt it was a no-brainer.

The notice came back in mid-March that my time had come and they would ship my kit upon my confirmation.

Done and done.

Today was installation day: I got up on our roof and used their short wall mount attached to the uppermost corner of our Clerestory Roof, got the Dish mounted and ran the cable all within a few hours. This also included removing an old DirecTV Slimline Dish and their old Coax Cable from the Dish to the house (basically removing theirs and placing the Starlink Cable along the same path).
My first step was confirming that the position had no obstructions using their phone app. This is super easy and the give you visual guidance if there is any potential concern. You basically want a 100º vertical cone of clearance for unobstructed connectivity.

Note to any who may follow in my footsteps:
It is better to run the cable from the inside of your house to the outside, as the business end that attaches to the Dish is the smaller plug and does not require putting a 1-1/4" hole in your walls! Yes, you can get cable grommets to close the gap, but lets face it, the smaller hole is almost always better!

The short mount is easy to install: 2 lag screws is all it takes. Make certain it is plumb (within 5º they say) and try to get the top of the mount level with the high point of the roof so the dish will clear while it is "stowed." (Mine ended up being a RCH off with the bottom edge of the dish contating ever so slightly with the edge of the roof, but did not seem to affect the Dish starting up and moving toward its functioning position).

Turning everything on was again quite simple. Follow the prompts through the app as you tell it to set up the connection. Once done, it takes about 10-15 minutes for the system to stabilize and all is good. There is a note on the app saying that it will be checking for obstructions over 6 hours but this does not seem to affect usage.

I was reading Apple News and messaging with my Dad while The Lady was streaming something on her phone.

One last piece for our needs is the Ethernet Adapter that Starlink sells in their shop. Their base station which is the brain for the Dish and a single WiFi access router does not have an Ethernet Port. To hardwire anything or use your own network gear, this adapter is the golden key.

I will be connecting to our Mesh Network soon...

...But this is where I will start to need some help, please. (Later post to come!)

One last note:
We will be replacing Comcast Business as our home internet. They are twice as expensive for half the speed! I ran the Starlink and Ookla Speedtests to see where we were at.
Comcast was Download at <60mbps.
Starlink topped out at 130mbps!

This will be feeding my Rig for all entertainment as well as our business connectivity. Needless to say, I am stoked that we will be operating on a much faster speed than before.

I will follow up with more info on performance as I get the system integrated...

Which will lead, again, to some help and advice needed.
(Coming soon. ;) )

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Comcast was Download at <60gbps.
Starlink topped out at 130gbps!
Nice, when I lived in LA, I had Comcast and it was trash and I mean absolute trash. It was constantly dropping out, and I felt like all I did was calling complain, multiple service techs came out with no good solutions. Glad to hear about Star-link.

Is this something that could be rigged up to an airstream travel trailer you think?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nice, when I lived in LA, I had Comcast and it was trash and I mean absolute trash. It was constantly dropping out, and I felt like all I did was calling complain, multiple service techs came out with no good solutions. Glad to hear about Star-link.

Is this something that could be rigged up to an airstream travel trailer you think?
Starlink does have what they call Roam:
...formerly Starlink RV. Looks like it is available now in a few configurations. ;)

Also @ryanosaur I finally got around to writing my BMR tower review this weekend. check it out
I know!
I got to skim it the other day when you posted... need to revisit. ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
One last note:
We will be replacing Comcast Business as our home internet. They are twice as expensive for half the speed! I ran the Starlink and Ookla Speedtests to see where we were at.
Comcast was Download at <60gbps.
Starlink topped out at 130gbps!
akhtually, I think you meant to say mbps

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK.

Here is where I need help.

Now, I do know how to set up a WiFi network and have managed that much for years. Nothing advanced, but basic functioning WiFi.
Earlier this year, I fired the old Apple Airport Extreme and Express that were my network for a very long time and replaced them with Asus XT8 Mesh routers. They have been working pretty well, but now that the entry point for the internet signal is moving from a Coaxial that was already wired into the house (post-construction) and is also decentralized, I need to run Ethernet and hardwire my Mesh access points.

That by itself isn't the hardest part, though it will be a pain in the a$$.

The house is long, and since the entry point is at one end, the Mesh signal won't reach where I need it to and with any reliable signal strength. By "long," we are talking over 71' from one end of the living portion of the house to the other, and then there is the need to have an access point in the garage which pushes that another 10'.

I need to also add in some on-wall Keystone Jacks.

I currently have the main Router and internet access in my "Office"/entertainment room. (All of my gear is hardwired to the router using a switch or direct in the case of my computer.) Instead, I want my room to be all hardwired so I can reposition the Mesh access points more appropriately.

Overall network size is pretty small. I do not foresee needing more than 8-12 ports in the house.

The main questions then are:
  • Will a small on-wall Patch Panel be of benefit for creating a hub where all ethernet jacks are routed prior to connecting to a switch?
  • Can I stack switches? (For example, can I have one switch in my room (with all entertainment gear) that is also connected to another switch at the hub?
  • Can the individual Mesh Routers be connected via switch or do those need to be wired directly to each other for best function?
  • At the point I am setting all of this up, is a Managed Switch recommended over an Unmanaged Switch at the hub?
Other info:
I am already in possession of Cat6A solid cable for running in the crawlspace to keystone jacks.
I will need a punchdown tool, but already have a crimper and appropriate RJ-45 connectors for other cable terminating needs.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Cheers!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
OK.

Here is where I need help.

Now, I do know how to set up a WiFi network and have managed that much for years. Nothing advanced, but basic functioning WiFi.
Earlier this year, I fired the old Apple Airport Extreme and Express that were my network for a very long time and replaced them with Asus XT8 Mesh routers. They have been working pretty well, but now that the entry point for the internet signal is moving from a Coaxial that was already wired into the house (post-construction) and is also decentralized, I need to run Ethernet and hardwire my Mesh access points.

That by itself isn't the hardest part, though it will be a pain in the a$$.

The house is long, and since the entry point is at one end, the Mesh signal won't reach where I need it to and with any reliable signal strength. By "long," we are talking over 71' from one end of the living portion of the house to the other, and then there is the need to have an access point in the garage which pushes that another 10'.

I need to also add in some on-wall Keystone Jacks.

I currently have the main Router and internet access in my "Office"/entertainment room. (All of my gear is hardwired to the router using a switch or direct in the case of my computer.) Instead, I want my room to be all hardwired so I can reposition the Mesh access points more appropriately.

Overall network size is pretty small. I do not foresee needing more than 8-12 ports in the house.

The main questions then are:
  • Will a small on-wall Patch Panel be of benefit for creating a hub where all ethernet jacks are routed prior to connecting to a switch?
  • Can I stack switches? (For example, can I have one switch in my room (with all entertainment gear) that is also connected to another switch at the hub?
  • Can the individual Mesh Routers be connected via switch or do those need to be wired directly to each other for best function?
  • At the point I am setting all of this up, is a Managed Switch recommended over an Unmanaged Switch at the hub?
Other info:
I am already in possession of Cat6A solid cable for running in the crawlspace to keystone jacks.
I will need a punchdown tool, but already have a crimper and appropriate RJ-45 connectors for other cable terminating needs.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Cheers!
1. Patch panel makes wiring neater and more flexible in the future. I say this one is highly recommended
2. You can daisy chain switches but keep in mind performance implications (choke points)
3. You can mesh Wifi APs (not routers) wired, wirelessly, or mix of both. I recommend keeping the wireless uplink channel fixed on both sides of the wireless uplinked AP.
4. Managed switches are mostly needed once you get into vlans/network isolation. If you don't care about it - you don't need a managed switch.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
1. Patch panel makes wiring neater and more flexible in the future. I say this one is highly recommended
2. You can daisy chain switches but keep in mind performance implications (choke points)
Some of the basic designs I had seen involve using a larger Switch as the distribution point with the Patch Panel as the hub for all wired Keystones.

Am I understanding that functionality correctly?

If so, then I could run my Switch that holds all of my entertainment rig back to the "hub-switch" with no major issues. Keep my Computer on it's own line for less risk of a bottleneck... All should be good?

3. You can mesh Wifi APs (not routers) wired, wirelessly, or mix of both. I recommend keeping the wireless uplink channel fixed on both sides of the wireless uplinked AP.
Clarification:
I may use the phrase Router or Access Point interchangeably as the XT8 routers are each capable of being used as a standalone Router or slaved to the Mesh network (hardwired or wireless).
That said, could you explain this point a little more? I don't follow what you mean by "keeping the wireless uplink channel fixed on both sides of the wireless uplinked AP."
I guess more to the point, what are you calling the wireless uplink channel?

It seems then for my needs, it may be best to arrange for each Access Point to be wired directly to the main router?
Then I could use a local switch at each AP if additional local connectivity is necessary.

Thank you!!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Some of the basic designs I had seen involve using a larger Switch as the distribution point with the Patch Panel as the hub for all wired Keystones.

Am I understanding that functionality correctly?

If so, then I could run my Switch that holds all of my entertainment rig back to the "hub-switch" with no major issues. Keep my Computer on it's own line for less risk of a bottleneck... All should be good?
Yes, having a larger (port count-wise) switch and a patch panel is the preferred way, but I'm not against using smaller switches at 1-2 locations if making new ethernet runs back to the main switch isn't possible or feasible.

Clarification:
I may use the phrase Router or Access Point interchangeably as the XT8 routers are each capable of being used as a standalone Router or slaved to the Mesh network (hardwired or wireless).
That said, could you explain this point a little more? I don't follow what you mean by "keeping the wireless uplink channel fixed on both sides of the wireless uplinked AP."
I guess more to the point, what are you calling the wireless uplink channel?

It seems then for my needs, it may be best to arrange for each Access Point to be wired directly to the main router?
Then I could use a local switch at each AP if additional local connectivity is necessary.

Thank you!!!
I will say this: I am not familiar with XT8. I've found a pretty comprehensive review here:

wireless uplink channel or as Asus calls it a backhaul - is a WIRELESS connection used by Wirelessly attached Wifi Access point aka Mesh.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
wireless uplink channel or as Asus calls it a backhaul - is a WIRELESS connection used by Wirelessly attached Wifi Access point aka Mesh.
Gotcha. Backhaul I get. :)

I read a lot of reviews of all the current crop of Wifi6 and 6e mesh devices, including reviews on DongKnows. The nice thing is that Asus Zen XT8 seems very well liked by most. And it works pretty well so far!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh...
I have a switch and patch panel coming, along with other accoutrements. At this point, oll I will need to do is set up the keystone jacks when I pass wire through the floor and mount on-wall boxes.

The only things I haven't picked up yet are Patch cords and the on-wall hardware as that will all be location specific.

I'm still weighing whether I make a central location away from where the internet comes into the house the tech hub, or if I keep it decentralized at the entry point. Both have their benefits... but the decentralized location may make more sense in the long run so I'm leaning toward that as the solution.

This project continues after orders come in this weekend.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I still need to get under the house for my own similar project and am currently completely wireless with nothing connected to the router.

I vote for a centralized location in case a mesh system doesn’t work out in the end and a single router system replaces it. This would be ideal for a router with no additional Mesh nodes in play for any wireless devices on the network.

You can use the Wi-Fi SweetSpots app to check the strength of the signal for each room of the house.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I still need to get under the house for my own similar project and am currently completely wireless with nothing connected to the router.

I vote for a centralized location in case a mesh system doesn’t work out in the end and a single router system replaces it. This would be ideal for a router with no additional Mesh nodes in play for any wireless devices on the network.

You can use the Wi-Fi SweetSpots app to check the strength of the signal for each room of the house.

The Starlink App has a Signal Strength feature and that was pretty informative.

But this is why I am hardwiring the Router/APs. Each will cover the area needed and create the mesh... My problem is that the wireless connection between mesh nodes was not consistent. But when the connection is good, the mesh is bulletproof. Even when the connection between nodes is weak, we still had very good connectivity.
There's a bit of play to extend the network a little further with the hardwiring...

And the entry point to the house cannot be as easily extended. It can, just will up the anty in material needed to do the work. Sort of a 6-of-1 situation, na'mean? ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just fiy: For some stupid reason, Mesh router makers always choose 5ghz band for backhaul as it's much faster, BUT 2.4ghz has better range/wall penetration, so - go figure.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That's the rub. I let my wi-fi AX/6 router mix the two as needed using Asus Dual-Band Smart Connect. I nearly set up Mesh nodes but decided against it. But, I'm not dealing with as big an area as others may be.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I've always been a fan of hardwired, and still am where reliability is paramount - like in a work scenario. Wi-Fi 6 has been a game changer for some folks who just can't install new LAN Cables. It sounds like the situation here should be a blend of the two, so not only is there coverage everywhere, that it's as rock solid as possible for critical workstations. I typically let wireless go for portable devices and hardwire the rest.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. When my Misses wanted to get a TV in the bedroom after ages of saying no way, she of course wanted Netflix with no way to hard wire to it. Of course it runs flawlessly for her wirelessly; and now she pokes me about my LAN Cables everywhere.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis