RSL Digs Deep to 16Hz with new Speedwoofer 12S for $800!

T

TheAVInsider

Junior Audioholic
100db at 10hz? Essentially flat response from 10db-20db? Better than a 21" sub?

Sorry to have to say it but someone needs to have their calibration gear sent in to have it all re-calibrated.

I could probably find a cal mic on Amazon somewhere that will show the same kind of measurements on a soundbar ext. sub.
I need more verification than what this video provides. The article provided by JL gives us all we need. The new video on the official Audioholics channel basically trashes real science, and gives RSL nice fluffy pillow talk, and a very questionable measured result.

On channels like the J&T one linked a few posts above, I don't expect too much. I've always thought of Audioholics as a benchmark site for their reviews. A very depressing regression on the platform. I beg for rapid improvements.

Otherwise, looks like a very nice large cabinet 12" sub, tuned specificly to focus on the lowest octaves, with a great price/performance ratio for those who can benefit from a lower crossover setting.

Last edited:
T

TheAVInsider

Junior Audioholic
If we can get published verifications to the latest claims, I'll delete my previous post.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Sorry to have to say it but someone needs to have their calibration gear sent in to have it all re-calibrated.
I could probably find a cal mic on Amazon somewhere that will show the same kind of measurements on a soundbar ext. sub.
I need more verification than what this video provides. The article provided by JL gives us all we need. The new video basically trashes real science, and gives RSL nice fluffy pillow talk, and a very questionable measured result.

Otherwise, looks like a very nice large cabinet 12" sub, tuned to specificly to the lowest octaves, with a great price/performance ratio.
Jame's measurements show 100db at 16hz outdoors, so it is possible I'm guessing, though I'm not sure how it is flat from 20hz down to there.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I need more verification than what this video provides. The article provided by JL gives us all we need. The new video on the official Audioholics channel basically trashes real science, and gives RSL nice fluffy pillow talk, and a very questionable measured result.

On channels like the J&T one linked a few posts above, I don't expect too much. I've always thought of Audioholics as a benchmark site for their reviews. A very depressing regression on the platform. I beg for rapid improvements.

Otherwise, looks like a very nice large cabinet 12" sub, tuned specificly to focus on the lowest octaves, with a great price/performance ratio for those who can benefit from a lower crossover setting.
The reviewer does say that those are his frequency responses as measured in his room. He also said that their frequency response may vary in our rooms. The RSL does play pretty flat to 16 so I can see how in the right room you can get usable output to 10 with dual subs like he had

T

TheAVInsider

Junior Audioholic
Jame's measurements show 100db at 16hz outdoors, so it is possible I'm guessing, though I'm not sure how it is flat from 20hz down to there.
Like I said, the article tells us all we need to know. To your reply, it also shows us 20%thd at that level, and thd goes off the charts below 16hz, where output drops like a rock below 25hz in sustained output tests.
The reviewer does say that those are his frequency responses as measured in his room. He also said that their frequency response may vary in our rooms. The RSL does play pretty flat to 16 so I can see how in the right room you can get usable output to 10 with dual subs like he had
If the sub can actually do it, why would you even want to? Thankfully there is a high and low pass filter knob on this sub, as you will most certainly be needing both, as it appears to be more of a wide-band-pass design, than anything else. A good entry, in that space.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Like I said, the article tells us all we need to know. To your reply, it also shows us 20%thd at that level, and thd goes off the charts below 16hz, where output drops like a rock below 25hz in sustained output tests.

If the sub can actually do it, why would you even want to? Thankfully there is a high and low pass filter knob on this sub, as you will most certainly be needing both, as it appears to be more of a wide-band-pass design, than anything else. A good entry, in that space.
It doesn't look like he was trying to. He just got lucky and had the right room to get that response. He didn't appear to be using a minidsp or boosting. He didn't mention any attempts to create that response. He was just able to get that response in his room. Rooms can be weird like that.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

He also mentions as he turned up the volume that the sub started to literally fall apart in the deep deep infrasonics and he said to be careful with turning it up for the that type of content which is probably due to as you pointed out the high distortion and output drop off that comes when that sub goes below it's port tune.

Just because a sub can do it as you correctly point out doesn't mean it should. Still even using this sub within it's measurements it's still very impressive what they were able to pull off with a 12 at this price range and cabinet size.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

You can't even quote our measurements correctly and you're "begging" for rapid improvements? We have NO posted data at 10Hz for this sub. It hit 100dB at 16Hz but with very high distortion compared to what the RBH 21" sub can do (105dB at 16Hz).

Shane's measurements in our Youtube review is in-room and room gain plays a huge factor at low F. You can't compare in-room output to outdoor groundplane.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You can't even quote our measurements correctly and you're "begging" for rapid improvements? We have NO posted data at 10Hz for this sub. It hit 100dB at 16Hz but with very high distortion compared to what the RBH 21" sub can do (105dB at 16Hz).

Shane's measurements in our Youtube review is in-room and room gain plays a huge factor at low F. You can't compare in-room output to outdoor groundplane.
That's why you have to be careful about the raw data. Those numbers posted outdoors are all going to go up with room gain.

That's one of my favorite things about room gain. It can take your subs output and give you MORE!!!! An Audioholics favorite word :D

I bought 2 of the Monoprice SW-15 and I'm hoping this weekend I can get good performance to 30 Hz with some room gain. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

H

HTEnthusiast

Audioholic Intern
I ended up getting the best performance from my pair of RSL 12S & pair of HSU ULS-15s with the RLS 12S pair on the front wall in the 1/4 positions and the ULS-15 pair on the back wall in the 1/4 positions. Here is what I got in my room, but of course it may vary from room to room. The volume on all subs is set to the 12 o'clock position. The RSL 12S is set to “reference” mode. There are 3 REW sweeps with ARC OFF:

1) Just the two RSL 12S
2) Just the two ULS-15s
3) All 4 at the same time.

I level out all of them through a miniDSP, connecting them to the Anthem AVM70 8K with a single sub out. When using REW to first level all 4 to the same db, they show the same db but the RSL 12S "feels" louder due to it digging deeper.

I then ran ARC Genesis and did the necessary adjustments to get the curve I wanted. The 4th REW sweep is after those adjustments. It is exactly the house curve I wanted.

Relevant to the discussion above is the performance of the RSL 12S from 20hz down.

Image 9-4-23 at 12.15 PM.jpg
Image 9-4-23 at 12.17 PM.jpg
Image 9-4-23 at 12.21 PM.jpg
Image 9-4-23 at 12.21 PM.jpg

Last edited:
H

HTEnthusiast

Audioholic Intern
I built an 18 inch sub since the last post. I have the RSLs in the same positions in the front, moved the HSU ULS-15s to midpoints on each side wall, and have the new 18“ in the back rear corner. So running 5 subs. Adding the 18 inch sub was such a profound improvement, I would say it changes the entire movie watching experience. New graph looks like this….

Attachments

G

gaby95

Audioholic
Better than a 21" sub?
oh thar was just Shameless-Shane taking another cheap shot at PSA because he is still butthurt that Tom from PSA didn't send him a free sub.
You know as a "big" youtuber he feels entitled to get free stuff and since that didn't happen now he has a personal vendetta against the company.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
oh thar was just Shameless-Shane taking another cheap shot at PSA because he is still butthurt that Tom from PSA didn't send him a free sub.
You know as a "big" youtuber he feels entitled to get free stuff and since that didn't happen now he has a personal vendetta against the company.
*fart*

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis