H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
Two questions:

-Linear PCM, DTS, or Dolby? (I’m aware that PCM is uncompressed, just wondering if my receiver will handle the other formats better for my setup.)
-Do I need to bother with the speaker position/angles in the Ps5 settings or does my receiver handle this?

The Ps5 is running through my RX-V583 via hdmi to a 5.1.2 setup.

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you want Atmos to work, you need to set it to Dolby. PCM does not pass the stream in a way that the AVR can decode the height channels. I set it that way and so far it seems to have no issues with any apps or games. I don't think there are any speaker settings in the PS5, that is the receiver's job.

H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
If you want Atmos to work, you need to set it to Dolby. PCM does not pass the stream in a way that the AVR can decode the height channels. I set it that way and so far it seems to have no issues with any apps or games. I don't think there are any speaker settings in the PS5, that is the receiver's job.
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I’ll just be using the Ps5 for gaming so I’m not concerned about atmos. I just want to be sure that my receiver is able to do its job using PCM (seems fine in a quick test, but I wanted a second opinion). As for speaker settings, there is an option to adjust angle that defaults the fronts to 30 degrees (from center) and the rears to 110 degrees I believe. I don’t want to have to get my protractor out, but I will if I have to. Thanks again!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For games, PCM should be fine. I primarily use it for games too, though I do use it to stream as well and things with Atmos only work with Dolby on. I never noticed the speaker placement, but I'd go with the receiver settings :)

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
Sorry. What I mean will ps5 settings need to be adjusted to work with 5.1? Or is default settings okay? Non Atmos scenario

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, default setting for PCM should be fine. If the soundbar is HDMI, it should have a decoder.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis