No audio, but amplifier switch works on other speakers?

E

eiger3970

Audiophyte
Hello,
I have an amplifier connected to a switch, sending audio to pair A speakers which work, however pair B outputs no audio?
I haven't yet tested the cables from the working amplifier switch, swapped around and things.

The speakers in question are:
  • Studio acoustics
  • SA500BA
  • 4” (102mm)
  • Freq. Res: 100Hz - 20kHz
  • Power Handling: 100 Watts
  • Imp: 8 Ohm Car/8 Ohm Hi-Fi
Red connect button: +8 Ohms
Yellow connect button: +4 Ohms
Black connect button: -COMMON

Q1: I'm wondering if there's a test I can do, like a multimetre test, but how much power (amps, volts, watts) should the cables have?
Q2: Is there a general rule of ISO standard on which cable connects to the Red and Yellow connect buttons? E.g. the speaker cable is a pair with grey and grey with a black stripe. I connected the grey with a black stripe to the yellow connect button, as black is associated with ground and red is associated with power.
Screenshot from 2024-03-30 16-20-37.png
Screenshot from 2024-03-30 16-20-21.png

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,
I have an amplifier connected to a switch, sending audio to pair A speakers which work, however pair B outputs no audio?
I haven't yet tested the cables from the working amplifier switch, swapped around and things.

The speakers in question are:
  • Studio acoustics
  • SA500BA
  • 4” (102mm)
  • Freq. Res: 100Hz - 20kHz
  • Power Handling: 100 Watts
  • Imp: 8 Ohm Car/8 Ohm Hi-Fi
Red connect button: +8 Ohms
Yellow connect button: +4 Ohms
Black connect button: -COMMON

Q1: I'm wondering if there's a test I can do, like a multimetre test, but how much power (amps, volts, watts) should the cables have?
Q2: Is there a general rule of ISO standard on which cable connects to the Red and Yellow connect buttons? E.g. the speaker cable is a pair with grey and grey with a black stripe. I connected the grey with a black stripe to the yellow connect button, as black is associated with ground and red is associated with power.
View attachment 66706View attachment 66707
The common terminal is the Negative, the other two are for Positive. Move the wire from the 4 Ohm terminal to Common.

E

eiger3970

Audiophyte
Thank you, removed the grey with black stripe cable from the yellow connection and inserted into the black connection, however the issue remains.
I checked the switch by swapping the B speakers cable positive and negative, but no audio.
Is there a way to test the cables for voltage, as moving the wires into the working speakers is a major hassle.
Sorry, the old outdoor speakers had some wasp mud nests that had to be crushed.
Screenshot from 2024-04-03 11-25-31.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is there something making you think the cables are damaged? Do you have other gear to test the amp and speakers with (and cabling if necessary)?

E

eiger3970

Audiophyte
Just age and outdoor speakers being a possibility,otherwise should work.
No other easy gear to test, was hoping to use the multimetre to test for power, but unsure on specs etc.
2 other speakers are cabled inside under the floor and outdoor speaker cables are under the floor, windows and ground.
Used to work, but it's been a few years since they've been used.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd pull the speakers and take them to another system to make sure they work, outdoor speakers that would be my first suspicion aside from maybe corroded connection or something. Hidden wiring could be chewed by rodents.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Man, why does this site/forum more resemble Reddit lately than Reddit does ??

E

eiger3970

Audiophyte
Thank you, success. The outdoor speakers are alive on the indoor speaker wires, but no audio on the outdoor wires.
Therefore, the outdoor wires or the switch is faulty.
So much for a 20 minute fix, a week long project now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you, success. The outdoor speakers are alive on the indoor speaker wires, but no audio on the outdoor wires.
Therefore, the outdoor wires or the switch is faulty.
So much for a 20 minute fix, a week long project now.
One step at a time. If you didn't run your speaker wires in conduit, might think about that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis