lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So in anticipation of going to the shop tomorrow I've been studying the two manuals.

The powered speakers has these connections on the back. The key is that it has one Sub-Out. None of the documentation mention LFE on the powered speakers.

Powered Speaker back
View attachment 61742

Below is the back of the powered subwoofer. It has low level RCA left and right inputs. Neither is labeled LFE but it has LFE controls. Do I need a single mono RCA cable to split to two mono RCA for Left and right or can I simply run a single RCA from Sub-Out on the speaker to one or the other (left or Right) on the subwoofer?

View attachment 61743

It's maddening when stuff has pathetic documentation but it's become the norm.
You're not going to get any LFE channel with those speakers from what I see. It does seem to provide low passed mono signal for a sub, so the single cable would be fine. Sometimes LFE input on a sub just indicates mono, sometimes it bypasses the sub's own low pass filter as well (allowing for external low pass filter control from a receiver with bass management, etc). Many subs also use the term "crossover" when all they have is a low pass filter.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
You're not going to get any LFE channel with those speakers from what I see. It does seem to provide low passed mono signal for a sub, so the single cable would be fine. Sometimes LFE input on a sub just indicates mono, sometimes it bypasses the sub's own low pass filter as well (allowing for external low pass filter control from a receiver with bass management, etc). Many subs also use the term "crossover" when all they have is a low pass filter.
Ya. The documentation on the speaker doesn't provide what frequency it passes onto the sub-out. At least I haven't found reference to it.

Just like the sub volume, I'll probably just need to play with it until I find what I like.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ya. The documentation on the speaker doesn't provide what frequency it passes onto the sub-out. At least I haven't found reference to it.

Just like the sub volume, I'll probably just need to play with it until I find what I like.
Maybe ask PSB on what it is....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Be aware as well that if connecting with optical to a receiver or soundbar, a dolby digital 5.1 signal coming from a TV can simply be output in stereo mode if the TV has not been set to PCM for output. This is not the case with active speakers and they may not produce sound at all if the optical signal has not been set to PCM in the TV for output. Sound levels may seem lower with a PCM signal as a result compared to those one may be familiar with when outputting dolby signals to a soundbar. Some might consider the sound diminished when they simply just have to turn it up a bit. Like other active sets, the LPF is probably fixed at 80Hz.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Thanks I am planning to check the optical output setting

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks I am planning to check the optical output setting
Yeah depends on the tv I can’t figure out how to adjust it on my old Sony but I put it in bedroom haven’t been using it . It works with optical though ..
It's funny that it wasn't until Jan 2021 that I truly realized how crappy the speakers are on most flat screen TVs. We were slow to adopt frat screen.

But I was spending a week at my parent's unoccupied house. My dad had died 2 years before and my mom was in assisted living and she tested positive for Covid the day after I had spent about 2 hours visiting her in her room, with a mask. I went to their house old house to protect my family and my parents still had a huge boxy CRT TV. I had brought some movies on DVD and was hearing soft dialog on that old TV that I never heard on my flat screen.

I never got the Covid from her probably because of my mask but I came home determined to get better sound on my flat screen.
In my house only one tv has decent built in speakers , my dads Samsung 3D tv. It’s going bad though lines forming on the screen , still keeps on working!!
Not as clear as my Klipch speakers but it’s good for a tv .

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Be aware as well that if connecting with optical to a receiver or soundbar, a dolby digital 5.1 signal coming from a TV can simply be output in stereo mode if the TV has not been set to PCM for output. This is not the case with active speakers and they may not produce sound at all if the optical signal has not been set to PCM in the TV for output. Sound levels may seem lower with a PCM signal as a result compared to those one may be familiar with when outputting dolby signals to a soundbar. Some might consider the sound diminished when they simply just have to turn it up a bit. Like other active sets, the LPF is probably fixed at 80Hz.
Yep...That's why I already suggested he set his LG to output PCM.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I remember the suggestion, you’re good. I’m not trying to compete with you or anybody else around here. It was just a reminder in case it was overlooked. Happy posting.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I was able to set the LG C2 TV to PCM output on optical. Navagating the settings menus don't get me there. Instructions don't match the menu as is typical with electronics.

I searched for PCM in the TV setting and it showed the instructions that don't get me to the options but it has a "Try it" button and that brought me to the final setting and let me set it to PCM instread of AUTO. I didn't notice a sound difference with a movie and still the soundbar. That's fine. The TV is now set to PCM.

Are we sure that rabit ears weren't better?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
LG’s settings need lots of work. For Sound settings, go to All Settings>Sound>Advanced Settings> Digital Sound Output>PCM.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
LG’s settings need lots of work. For Sound settings, go to All Settings>Sound>Advanced Settings> Digital Sound Output>PCM.
All Settings>Sound>Advanced Settings> All grayed out and Digital Sound Output does not exist

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I've used the same steps but it doesn't work. There are two problems.

1 is that the whole "Advanced Setting" have been disabled by something, some setting most likely.

2 Digital Sound Output>PCM isn't listed.

Fortunately if you click the ? you can search PCM and get brought to the final setting PCM or Auto or somethingelse. So it's set.

Strange. The TV has done at least one firmware update since I got it about 9 months ago.

So at the moment it's a curiosity. But I would like it to work.

20230501_202749.jpg

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General

1 is that the whole "Advanced Setting" have been disabled by something, some setting most likely.

Fortunately if you click the ? you can search PCM and get brought to the final setting PCM or Auto or somethingelse. So it's set.

Strange. The TV has done at least one firmware update since I got it about 9 months ago.

View attachment 61746
Your set is not receiving instructions via optical cable, optical tells the set nothing. (another good reason to switch to EARC/ARC)
In most cases your set will receive instructions via EDID from the audio device as to what the audio device is capable of. (when using HDMI)
In this case, your LG has no idea whether its hooked into a 2 channel, 5.1 channel, Atmos or whatever.
Just for fun....hook into your soundbar via HDMI....I would bet all your audio settings come to life.
Getting that EQ to work via the LG's output would be nice...not sure if that will work that way though....a lot of settings are just for internal speakers on a tv set.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

View attachment 61746
Apologies, the settings I suggested are to be set after assigning the optical port by going to All Settings>Sound>Sound Out>Use Wired Speaker>Optical Out Device. Once set up there, the other settings will be applicable but you need to scroll down the menu to see them.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Your set is not receiving instructions via optical cable, optical tells the set nothing. (another good reason to switch to EARC/ARC)
In most cases your set will receive instructions via EDID from the audio device as to what the audio device is capable of. (when using HDMI)
In this case, your LG has no idea whether its hooked into a 2 channel, 5.1 channel, Atmos or whatever.
Just for fun....hook into your soundbar via HDMI....I would bet all your audio settings come to life.
Getting that EQ to work via the LG's output would be nice...not sure if that will work that way though....a lot of settings are just for internal speakers on a tv set.
I don't understand. What instructions would it get from the speaker? Keep in mind it's still connected to the soundbar.

The TV gets input from the BlueRay player mainly. It's also on the WiFi.

I thought I'm setting the TV how to send the correct optical signal to the speakers when I get them.
If all goes well I'll be unplugging the soundbar from my TV tomorrow afternoon and attaching the speakers to the TV. Hopefully it's set up and I'll have no issues.

But I will be bring the soundbar upstairs to the older Samsung 65" TV in the family room. I just checked. It does have an HDMI Arc. And optical. No doubt I'll have to dig out the Samsung TV manual.

Right now the big question is whether to tell my wife and the boys that the Samsung soundbar is Bluetooth. They are all far less particular about the sound of their music.

Last edited:
crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Apologies, the settings I suggested are to be set after assigning the optical port by going to All Settings>Sound>Sound Out>Use Wired Speaker>Optical Out Device. Once set up there, the other settings will be applicable but you need to scroll down the menu to see them.
That's all set. I checked earlier. But thanks!

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Digital audio is complicated. It makes me nostalgic for what passed for complicated in the old analog days.
2023 04 18 20 25 16.jpg

At least this was fun.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I don't understand. What instructions would it get from the speaker? Keep in mind it's still connected to the soundbar.

The TV gets input from the BlueRay player mainly. It's also on the WiFi.

I thought I'm setting the TV how to send the correct optical signal to the speakers when I get them.

If all goes well I'll be unplugging the soundbar from my TV tomorrow afternoon and attaching the speakers to the TV. Hopefully it's set up and I'll have no issues.

But I will be bring the soundbar upstairs to the older Samsung 65" TV in the family room. I just checked. It does have an HDMI Arc. And optical. No doubt I'll have to dig out the Samsung TV manual.

Right now the big question is whether to tell my wife and the boys that the Samsung soundbar is Bluetooth. They are all far less particular about the sound of their music.
All newer devices that connect with HDMI tell others in the chain "what their specs" are.
If your soundbar was Atmos, or if you used an Atmos AVR the set would know what to send to the sound device and what not to....this might be why your sound info is grayed out. The set doesnt know whats there.
Optical does not allow this or is it capable....its an HDMI thing.
Tv sets have an EDID that does the same in reverse....this tells streaming services for instance what formats (4K,HD,Dolby Vision, etc etc) to send you. In reverse for instance, a bluray player wont send Dolby Vision to a Samsung tv that doesn't have Dolby Vision.
Probably you will just connect your new gear the exact same way...just play around with an HDMI connection to see what happens also.
You really never know what's going to happen with some of this stuff until it actually happens.

Last edited:
crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Well I went and did it. Not exactly what I was planning.

I got the PSB Alpha AM5 powered speakers.

They didn't have the PSB subwoofer handy so I ended up getting a REL HT/1003 MKII powered subwoofer

They sound good in this placement but I didn't anticipate two things.

1: line of sight for the remote to the left speaker is not good from my desk and
2 I can't hear the tweeter on the right speaker form my desk chair.

So I'm taking a break and then I plan to put the left speaker on the shelf below the NAD where the DVDs are now and put the right speaker on that small table next to the subwoofer. I think overall convenience and sound will improve.

My only concern is the pesky cat trying to jump onto the right speaker. This is Chester the Tank cat. I could also put the right speaker on the shelf in back of the small table but that might make it sound a bit wonky. I'd have better line of sight to the tweeter up there but the two speakers will be at different heights. Or I could also totally rearrange the stereo components and put the left speaker where the two stacks of components are but that's for a different day.

I may plan to just get a longer and slightly taller table to put the TV on that is long enough to put the right speaker next to the TV.

It all makes it a little harder for me to get in back to play with wires but that's really a clutter problem.

OK. I've taken a rest. I think I'll move the two speakers.

20230502_153244.jpg

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Well I went and did it. Not exactly what I was planning.

I got the PSB Alpha AM5 powered speakers.

They didn't have the PSB subwoofer handy so I ended up getting a REL HT/1003 MKII powered subwoofer

They sound good in this placement but I didn't anticipate two things.

1: line of sight for the remote to the left speaker is not good from my desk and
2 I can't hear the tweeter on the right speaker form my desk chair.

So I'm taking a break and then I plan to put the left speaker on the shelf below the NAD where the DVDs are now and put the right speaker on that small table next to the subwoofer. I think overall convenience and sound will improve.

My only concern is the pesky cat trying to jump onto the right speaker. This is Chester the Tank cat. I could also put the right speaker on the shelf in back of the small table but that might make it sound a bit wonky. I'd have better line of sight to the tweeter up there but the two speakers will be at different heights. Or I could also totally rearrange the stereo components and put the left speaker where the two stacks of components are but that's for a different day.

I may plan to just get a longer and slightly taller table to put the TV on that is long enough to put the right speaker next to the TV.

It all makes it a little harder for me to get in back to play with wires but that's really a clutter problem.

OK. I've taken a rest. I think I'll move the two speakers.

View attachment 61758
The REL is a fine sub.....better than the PSB you were considering.
Why not use one of these and just raise the tv and put the speakers up on top ?

51mVBXqMoOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis