Looking at Integrated Media Streamers - Thoughts?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have spent more time going back and forth between AVR and Integrated. While the AVR was probably the smarter move, I wanted to stick to my gameplan with a slimmer 2.1 simple solution and went with the Marantz 40n. I definitely prefer the slightly smaller form factor over the Cinema 50. The reviews have been very positive and the build quality looks solid.

A secondary factor is If I went with the cinema 50, I would be too tempted to buy more speakers and I like being married, so...2.1 integrated it is! ;)

Shout out to ADTG for being patient with so many of my questions and requtests before I pulled the trigger today!

P

paulrlight

Audiophyte
Hi, what did you get?

I’m looking for a simple solution with streaming, HDMI and room correction.

LARGE room 6m X 9m

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, what did you get?

I’m looking for a simple solution with streaming, HDMI and room correction.

LARGE room 6m X 9m
Which ones were you looking at?

An AVR or Integrated Amp/Streamer ?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I got the Marantz 40N through ADTG and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It's simple to set up, sounds great and I have 0 complaints. ARC works perfectly with my Sony OLED and Apple 4K TV. I primarily stream Amazon HD Music because that offers the highest bitrate that works with the Marantz. The Phono Pre-amp is not junk and actually quite good with my Project Carbon Evo turntable.

There are less expensive options and some with more flexibility, but it's simple and sexy looking with stellar build quality. If you want room correction, look elsewhere though. My room is has sound treatments and I pretty much have it dialed in.

Side note the Rotel Unit I was looking at is 1500 off @ 999 which looks like a good deal.

Last edited:
P

paulrlight

Audiophyte
Which ones were you looking at?

An AVR or Integrated Amp/Streamer ?
Well, I keep going around in circles.

1. Lyngdorf TDAi 1120 with 2 bookshelves and 2 small subs
2. As above with 2 slightly larger subs
3. As 1 with small floorstanding speakers
4. Marantz SR5015 with 12” sub, monitors, in ceiling rear surround and center channel

I’m in rural North Thailand and importing gear is expensive.

Locally I can source major brands like KEF, Wharfedale etc.

As far as subwoofers the import price of something like the RSL Speedwoofer 12S is about $1200 USD, about the same as getting a SVS SB-2000 here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

4. Marantz SR5015 with 12” sub, monitors, in ceiling rear surround and center channel

As far as subwoofers the import price of something like the RSL Speedwoofer 12S is about $1200 USD, about the same as getting a SVS SB-2000 here.
Curious what do you find the plus/minus for each choice?

P

paulrlight

Audiophyte
So no particular reasoning?
Like I said, I'm going around in circles.

I have to tell my builder where I want power and cables run within about 7 days.

In my last house I had a full Dolby Atmos system but I'm trying to keep this simple and somewhat cost effective.

What are your thoughts on the options?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No experience with Lyngdorf but it has never appealed for its feature set/pricing otoh. I like multich audio so the Marantz avr looks more appealing. Not sure what subs you're referring to particularly either. I tend to like multiple decent sized subs. Which speakers rather than one bit of form factor info also doesn't mean much. I'd concentrate more on the quality of speakers and subs than the electronics in any case. Not familiar with what's available in your area either.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Yeah I would buy within your country.

The Marantz and KEF are a safe bet also.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I got the Marantz 40N through ADTG and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It's simple to set up, sounds great and I have 0 complaints. ARC works perfectly with my Sony OLED and Apple 4K TV. I primarily stream Amazon HD Music because that offers the highest bitrate that works with the Marantz. The Phono Pre-amp is not junk and actually quite good with my Project Carbon Evo turntable.

There are less expensive options and some with more flexibility, but it's simple and sexy looking with stellar build quality. If you want room correction, look elsewhere though. My room is has sound treatments and I pretty much have it dialed in.

Side note the Rotel Unit I was looking at is 1500 off @ 999 which looks like a good deal.
Not surprised on your good experience with such an integrated amp/streamer. The thing about Denon, Marantz, Yahama, they just work! Anthem, Arcam, and other sort of so called boutique brands are sometimes a hit and miss thing. Everyone (almost, I assume...) can make preamps, amps, dacs that are trouble free, but seemingly not feature rich streamers, avrs, avps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

For a "large room", the key would be your seating distance and desired SPL. Unless you sit quite close such as less than 3.5 meters, have sensitive, easy to drive speakers and happy with moderately loud spl, you probably should get such an integrated streamer/amp that has preamp outputs for future proofing.

Unless your room is well treated and have favorable geometrical features, room correction is the best bang for better sound quality. Between KEF and Wharfedale, I have more faith in KEF, but only their R series and the reference series. Most of those will need competent power amplifiers that most streamers like will fall short.

In my opinion, if you have the room, I would go separate, integrated solutions are of course great for many applications where space, aesthetic, ergonomics are the limiting factors, otherwise...;) (hint: may as well stick with just an AVR, there won't be sound quality issues if you choose wisely).

P

paulrlight

Audiophyte
For a "large room", the key would be your seating distance and desired SPL. Unless you sit quite close such as less than 3.5 meters, have sensitive, easy to drive speakers and happy with moderately loud spl, you probably should get such an integrated streamer/amp that has preamp outputs for future proofing.

Unless your room is well treated and have favorable geometrical features, room correction is the best bang for better sound quality. Between KEF and Wharfedale, I have more faith in KEF, but only their R series and the reference series. Most of those will need competent power amplifiers that most streamers like will fall short.

In my opinion, if you have the room, I would go separate, integrated solutions are of course great for many applications where space, aesthetic, ergonomics are the limiting factors, otherwise...;) (hint: may as well stick with just an AVR, there won't be sound quality issues if you choose wisely).
Thank you.

Seating distance will be around 2.8m.

"R" series from KEF is out of my budget.

Realistically I'm looking at Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 or Evo 4.4, KEF Q750 or 950.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you.

Realistically I'm looking at Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 or Evo 4.4, KEF Q750 or 950.
Those are all good choices too. They all can benefit from a more powerful amplifier even at 2.8m in your big room, if you listen to moderately loud level. So my recommendation is, even if you are fixated on an integrated streamer, get one with preamp outputs so you will have options down the road.

P

paulrlight

Audiophyte
Thank you.

I might now switch gears and get a Marantz SR5015 AVR plus center and surrounds

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis