Intregra DRX-3.4 Firmware Issue

M

mattyboi

Audiophyte
Hi all, Thanks for taking the time to read my first post. Unfortunately I feel like is a fairly indeepth discussion and not a simple fix.

I have an Integra DRX-3.4 AVR with a glitch in the firmware, symptoms as follows:

No advanced Graphical OSD ,Missing items from setup menu:
Hardware> 6-2,6-3,6-4
MISC> 8-3, 8-4
No advanced Graphical OSD, Factory Reset does not fix issue.

Due to not being able to Update firmware via setup I have been using the shortcut: Hold NET, Press On/Standby, This lets me choose update via USB or NET. Selecting either of these throws error code : 0-82. ( with USB plugged in following Integra instructions. )

I have found a Service manual for a DRX3.1 and have been using that as a guide on probing this AVR for extra info and have found the following firmware information:
M1.0422418A90
G?????????????
01.01/23217AL9
V1.07/23705AL9
21.00/21421AL9
11.00/21421aL9
N????????????
Each code corrosponds to a different chip, however without having the service manual im unable to decipher what the two error codes relate to the phsyical chips.

If anyone could help in anyway that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Also fun fact - Integra have now included Heatsinks on one of the main chips that get fairly warm, they have been leaving the protective plastic on the thermal interface pad underneath the hestsink therefore rendering the initial intention less effective - I have found this on both of my Integra 3.4 AND 5.4 AVR's.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all, Thanks for taking the time to read my first post. Unfortunately I feel like is a fairly indeepth discussion and not a simple fix.

I have an Integra DRX-3.4 AVR with a glitch in the firmware, symptoms as follows:

Hardware> 6-2,6-3,6-4
MISC> 8-3, 8-4

Due to not being able to Update firmware via setup I have been using the shortcut: Hold NET, Press On/Standby, This lets me choose update via USB or NET. Selecting either of these throws error code : 0-82. ( with USB plugged in following Integra instructions. )

I have found a Service manual for a DRX3.1 and have been using that as a guide on probing this AVR for extra info and have found the following firmware information:
M1.0422418A90
G?????????????
01.01/23217AL9
V1.07/23705AL9
21.00/21421AL9
11.00/21421aL9
N????????????
Each code corrosponds to a different chip, however without having the service manual im unable to decipher what the two error codes relate to the phsyical chips.

Also fun fact - Integra have now included Heatsinks on one of the main chips that get fairly warm, they have been leaving the protective plastic on the thermal interface pad underneath the hestsink therefore rendering the initial intention less effective - I have found this on both of my Integra 3.4 AND 5.4 AVR's.
As far as I can tell those units are about two years old. Very little information about them online. There is sparse data and as is usual no service manual to be found.

The main issue I see it is that it is made by Onkyo, now a division of Sharp. So FYI, avoid that outfit in future.

Is there any warranty left?

Modern electronics like this is not generally serviceable except by board change. Even board change is not usually user possible, because of having to enter service codes, which they don't release, and also issue like having to flash the BIOS.

So, you will have to contact an authorized service center. Get a quote. Unfortunately I expect it will not be an economic proposition. I would not put a lot of money in it, as it is quite likely to happen again.

Unfortunately more likely than not, this unit is destined for the recycling center.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Hardware> 6-2,6-3,6-4
MISC> 8-3, 8-4

M1.0422418A90
G?????????????
01.01/23217AL9
V1.07/23705AL9
21.00/21421AL9
11.00/21421aL9
N????????????

Can you find the AVR's IP address? You can look in the connected devices in the router. Type the address in your browser and see if it opens a gui. I haven't used Integra or Onkyo, but Denon and Yamaha equipment has this feature. If it can be controlled using an app, you should be able to find the IP address in Settings.

Find out (in the user manual) if the configuration can be saved, either to a thumb drive or to the computer. If it can be saved, do that, then hard reset. If there's a way to reset the network card after saving, do that before the hard reset which would likely require pressing two or three buttons. If you can successfully reset it, go back to the gui on the computer and find the 'Reload' button and load the configuration.

That's best case- next level would be to manually reconfigure the AVR. Worst case, you would need to contact Integra Tech support.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis