How would this model as an MBM?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
B&C 18TBW100-4 18" Professional Subwoofer 4 Ohm (parts-express.com)
The website says 6cuft tuned at 35.5hz but I was told that didn't model well.
I couldn't figure out how to model a subwoofer could someone please help me with this. I will be running it with a Crown XLS 1502 so it will be getting 1500 watts rms. How would 4cuft tuned at 34hz look. I want huge back slam it will be put directly behind my seated position. Could someone please model this and tell me if this combination will work good? I had someone model it for me and said it was good but I wanted a second opinion because 4cuft sounds small to me. The port will be 3" tall x 18" wide x 26" long just fyi.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I couldn't figure out how to model a subwoofer could someone please help me with this. I will be running it with a Crown XLS 1502 so it will be getting 1500 watts rms. How would 4cuft tuned at 34hz look. I want huge back slam it will be put directly behind my seated position. Could someone please model this and tell me if this combination will work good? I had someone model it for me and said it was good but I wanted a second opinion because 4cuft sounds small to me. The port will be 3" tall x 18" wide x 26" long just fyi.
It is a pro woofer and Fs is 33 Hz, so its F3 will model above that. Pro woofers do no have much application domestically. I can model it if you want, but not sure what the point is.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Well I have this same sub in a 7cuft box tuned at 29hz. And it gives great chest slam. But I was told 4cuft tuned at 34hz would be more chest slam. Please model it for me! You are so awesome!

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm mostly impressed you have your hearing....or at least I'm assuming you do.....

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Lol I don't push my subs hard. Never let my Crown amps go into the red which means clipping so I am not going to ruin my hearing or my subwoofers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lol I don't push my subs hard. Never let my Crown amps go into the red which means clipping so I am not going to ruin my hearing or my subwoofers.
You can damage your hearing without clipping....I'm just teasing a bit due your reputation :)

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Is my reputation that I love to listen loud you mean?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
My DIYSG 1099"s can get way more crazy loud than I listen too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm thinking more of comments ski2black made I think :)

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
What did ski2black say?
I mentioned something about experiencing bass-induced cavitating vitreous fluid when you were showing off your system. That was years ago, the TC Sounds sub? It was totally bonkers, louder than any concert or IASCA competition I've witnessed.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
ski2black: thats funny you thought it was that loud! It was not louder than a concert or competition!

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Well my hearing is fine so it can't be louder than any concert or competition!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have done the best model I can. The driver is not really designed for vented application, but for sealed. This makes it tricky to model for vented application.
This is also not a very high quality unit, with a somewhat crude VC with high inductance, so it is hard to really smooth the response to acceptable levels.

However I have played with it and have come up with an acceptable design. The best vented volume is 4.5 cu.ft.

I have attached your model. F3 is 38.76 Hz.

I have to say, you have not yet got the hang of how you go about designing a speaker. You can't pull a tuning frequency out of the back of your neck. You can only design according to the T/S parameters of the driver and what that allows. This design I think is in line with what you were hoping for.

The biggest challenge designing with this driver is getting a reasonable smooth response and not a peaked one note wonder.

The cone is properly controlled in this design and the vent air velocity is a very acceptable range, and the vent resonance out of the audible range.
So this design will work for you.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis