How do these numbers look?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The driver is the thing you make a sub from with the right box....who told you it was a great box for the sub? What application was that for, automotive or home?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your quarter has run out mate. I designed you the best box to optimize that driver, and that is the end of it. The rest is hot air, and we are getting tired of it.
As long as we keep in mind it's the queen/king you're in agreement with with the "we" thing. Maybe it's Boris for you.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I actually didn't mean to post that sorry guys. Thats the box you designed for me. TLS Guy.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Why would you think that box was wrong since you made it for me TLS Guy?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Why would you think that box was wrong since you made it for me TLS Guy?
Sorry, I did not look at it closely, I just assumed you posting some other crazy tuned box. The box I designed is the optimal box for that driver.

H

HuenEye

Enthusiast
18" sub? Too fracken slow to keep up with the music!!!! Maybe good for A/V but definitely NOT for music.

I use smaller 12" woofers in a 'golden ratio' box w/ 2 of them directly opposite from each other to greatly reduce vibrations and to lower harmonic distortion. Actually I have 8 12" subs/woofers in my main system

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

18" sub? Too fracken slow to keep up with the music!!!! Maybe good for A/V but definitely NOT for music.

I use smaller 12" woofers in a 'golden ratio' box w/ 2 of them directly opposite from each other to greatly reduce vibrations and to lower harmonic distortion. Actually I have 8 12" subs/woofers in my main system
So you know nothing about the physics of speaker design then?

H

HuenEye

Enthusiast
So you know nothing about the physics of speaker design then?
It is PHYSICS and PHYSICS tells me the driver mass is too heavy to keep up with mids and tweeters. No matter who designs the driver the driver will be slow . . . because it does come to physics. The greater the mass of a cone the slower it will respond to transients. It's just like all those idiots who install those massive wheels and tires w/o realizing they are increasing unsprung weight and mass which causes the vehicle to perform worse and less able to follow road imperfections as well as acceleration.. I raced in the SCCA w/my Dad for over 20 years in E Production and learned a lot by talking with those who know more than me and just using COMMON SENSE which seems to get lost. It's no different than speakers. Mass is mass.

I've designed and built a lot of speakers using all kinds and sizes of drivers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is PHYSICS and PHYSICS tells me the driver mass is too heavy to keep up with mids and tweeters. No matter who designs the driver the driver will be slow . . . because it does come to physics. The greater the mass of a cone the slower it will respond to transients. It's just like all those idiots who install those massive wheels and tires w/o realizing they are increasing unsprung weight and mass which causes the vehicle to perform worse and less able to follow road imperfections as well as acceleration.. I raced in the SCCA w/my Dad for over 20 years in E Production and learned a lot by talking with those who know more than me and just using COMMON SENSE which seems to get lost. It's no different than speakers. Mass is mass.

Can you please go and find another forum to spout your cod's wallop.

highfigh

highfigh

A speaker driver is, technically, a motor assembly and the mass of the moving parts is so low that worrying about speed is futile. The force from the varying magnetic field is definitely strong enough to move that cone AND control it well.

WRT the rest of your post, good, for you.

How many movies do you watch that don't use music? What music would be hard for this woofer to handle? A larger woofer doesn't need to move as far as a smaller one in order to move the same volume of air, so give it up. Better to have a large driver that doesn't need to move far than to use smaller ones that have to move like it's having a conniption fit.

highfigh

highfigh

Right, because cars are the same as speakers.

Sure, mass is Mass, but low Mass moves easily and it slows easily too, and speaker cones are low mass. Any cone with more Mass will have a stronger magnet and voice coil that will be appropriate for that cone, assuming it was designed properly. Besides, woofers aren't used for high frequencies, so your argument is moot.

See- Physic is fun. You should stop assuming things about larger diameter drivers.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Right, because cars are the same as speakers.

Sure, mass is Mass, but low Mass moves easily and it slows easily too, and speaker cones are low mass. Any cone with more Mass will have a stronger magnet and voice coil that will be appropriate for that cone, assuming it was designed properly. Besides, woofers aren't used for high frequencies, so your argument is moot.

See- Physic is fun. You should stop assuming things about larger diameter drivers.
Can a larger driver be underpowered/driven though (I honestly don't know)? Like in the case where it is too big for the room and is held back? I suppose I could research it but it seems like it could be yet another contested topic. If I put 18's in here, they wouldn't be moving very much at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis