GKRook again- turntable issues Part 3

G

GKROOK

Audiophyte

Continued from Parts 1 and 2. Background:
I recently retired and we downsized. One of the benefits is that I could now upgrade my audio system which I did. I was well on my way to creating a great 5.1.4 system. I told myself I am not necessarily going to let my budget be the deciding factor (not a point shared by the wife) but I was going to get what I wanted. And I did until the wife asked how much more I was going to buy and added up what I spent to that point. Hard brake from her at that point! All I really had left to buy was a turntable and cartridge. That will be on hold for a while.

The one thing I am going to buy is a new cartridge. Right now, I have an AT95E and I want to upgrade. I use the phono input on my Denon X3800H but I can’t find any specs for this input. My wife has set the budget at $400.00 (I may be able to budge that a little). I have been researching and identified these cartridges as options:

Goldring E4
Orto 2M Bronze
Orto 2M Blue
AT VM 540 ML
AT VM 740 ML
AT VM 750 SH

What am I missing in my research? Suggestions or recommendations? Your thoughts?
Sorry for the long post and thank you for sharing your wisdom.

System: Denon X3800H, Philharmonic HT towers, Philharmonic HT Center Channel, Philharmonic True Mini Monitors (rear), Klipsch R-40-SA (height), SVS SB2000 (subwoofer), Systemdek IIx with Profile II tone arm and AT95E cart, 77" LG C3.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I recently retired and we downsized. One of the benefits is that I could now upgrade my audio system which I did. I was well on my way to creating a great 5.1.4 system. I told myself I am not necessarily going to let my budget be the deciding factor (not a point shared by the wife) but I was going to get what I wanted. And I did until the wife asked how much more I was going to buy and added up what I spent to that point. Hard brake from her at that point! All I really had left to buy was a turntable and cartridge. That will be on hold for a while.

The one thing I am going to buy is a new cartridge. Right now, I have an AT95E and I want to upgrade. I use the phono input on my Denon X3800H but I can’t find any specs for this input. My wife has set the budget at $400.00 (I may be able to budge that a little). I have been researching and identified these cartridges as options:

Goldring E4
Orto 2M Bronze
Orto 2M Blue
AT VM 540 ML
AT VM 740 ML
AT VM 750 SH

What am I missing in my research? Suggestions or recommendations? Your thoughts?

System: Denon X3800H, Philharmonic HT towers, Philharmonic HT Center Channel, Philharmonic True Mini Monitors (rear), Klipsch R-40-SA (height), SVS SB2000 (subwoofer), Systemdek IIx with Profile II tone arm and AT95E cart, 77" LG C3.
I would go with the Ortofon Blue probably.

I can't help you with that turntable. I am not familiar with those. There are no pictures you have provided of your issues, so I just can't visualize the problems.

highfigh

highfigh

I would go with the Ortofon Blue probably.

I can't help you with that turntable. I am not familiar with those. There are no pictures you have provided of your issues, so I just can't visualize the problems.
It's from Linn, in Scotland.

If I needed to find full specs WRT cartridge mass, alignment, stylus compliance and tracking force, I would contact Linn.

highfigh

highfigh

Goldring E4
Orto 2M Bronze
Orto 2M Blue
AT VM 540 ML
AT VM 740 ML
AT VM 750 SH

Did you re-set the height, etc? If not, maybe you could use 'Linn Systemdek IIx plinth and tonearm height adjustments' as the search terms, if you haven't.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
If the TT is set for the AT95e that's not a bad cart. I'd make sure I could set the TT and tonearm for optimum specs for any cart you might be considering.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for your help.
I have found a user manual. This took a while as Hi-Fi engine is not working properly.

I think your son screwed down the turntable leveling screws instead of the transit screws.

So you will need to do two things. You need to adjust the turntable levelling screws so that the belt is on the correct part of the motor pulley and also adjust them so the turntable platter is level when the turntable is also level. This will require a spirit level.

When you change cartridges you will have to level the arm, set tracking angle with an alignment protractor, that is done at the base of the arm, and not at the cartridge. You will need to set the arm height so the tonearm is parallel with the record. Set tracking weight and and the anti skating weight to the tracking force. Since the turntable has moved I would recommend you do the complete set up as outlined above, before using the turntable.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis