Fuse in 6 outlet power block blown

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Howdy. My 2 channel system has a 6 outlet power block with a click in 250v fuse. The new Michi obviously draws much more power and blows the fuse. I am not an electrician so would like help on how to calculate what amp value I need for the fuse. Like an idiot I ordered fuses just bast on 250v and not the amperage. So they blow when just the amp is plugged in. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Howdy. My 2 channel system has a 6 outlet power block with a click in 250v fuse. The new Michi obviously draws much more power and blows the fuse. I am not an electrician so would like help on how to calculate what amp value I need for the fuse. Like an idiot I ordered fuses just bast on 250v and not the amperage. So they blow when just the amp is plugged in. Thanks.
Well we need more information.

First what is the power rating of the 6 outlet power block?

Next is which Michi do you have? There are a number of models.

The two channel draws 850 watts. If your voltage where you are is 250 volts, then you need a 5 amp fuse. However what else do you have plugged into that power block.

I simply can't fathom how you would expect someone to give you an intelligent and safe answer without much more information.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Well we need more information.

First what is the power rating of the 6 outlet power block?

Next is which Michi do you have? There are a number of models.

The two channel draws 850 watts. If your voltage where you are is 250 volts, then you need a 5 amp fuse. However what else do you have plugged into that power block.

I simply can't fathom how you would expect someone to give you an intelligent and safe answer without much more information.
Sorry. I was trying to gather what information would be helpful so I could supply it properly.

I don't have a rating on the block. It was a gift from my brother. I will take pictures. I have the michi x3 series 1. The other items I have on the outlets are a dac, a raspberry pi and a DVD player. I will get the info off from the back of each and pics of the power block. Thanks for the willingness to help and your patience as always.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sorry. I was trying to gather what information would be helpful so I could supply it properly.

I don't have a rating on the block. It was a gift from my brother. I will take pictures. I have the michi x3 series 1. The other items I have on the outlets are a dac, a raspberry pi and a DVD player. I will get the info off from the back of each and pics of the power block. Thanks for the willingness to help and your patience as always.
So that unit is a 500 watt unit. I would assume that the power strip can take at least 1500 watts. I would have thought the specs would be on it, probably on the bottom.

However with power amps you have to allow for turn on surge. You don't want to use a fast blow fuse, but a slow blow. If you have a 250 volt circuit I would use a 7.5 amp slow blow and if it is 120 volt a 15 amp slow blow.

The units should be fused individually anyway. I would try and find out what the current rating of that power block is. That really is the determinant of the fuse rating.
You might find the fuse amp rating on the bottom of the fuse holder, or on the bottom of the unit. It should be marked by law. Where are you located?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I'm in the US and not familiar with replaceable fuse power blocks. But:
a] is it permitted to replace the fuse with a larger one?
b] when does the fuse blow?
1] while listening to loud music?
2} at turn-ON? if so how do you turn your equipment ON?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
So that unit is a 500 watt unit. I would assume that the power strip can take at least 1500 watts. I would have thought the specs would be on it, probably on the bottom.

However with power amps you have to allow for turn on surge. You don't want to use a fast blow fuse, but a slow blow. If you have a 250 volt circuit I would use a 7.5 amp slow blow and if it is 120 volt a 15 amp slow blow.

The units should be fused individually anyway. I would try and find out what the current rating of that power block is. That really is the determinant of the fuse rating.
You might find the fuse amp rating on the bottom of the fuse holder, or on the bottom of the unit. It should be marked by law. Where are you located?
I am in NY. The fuse holder only says 250v. There is no UL certification sticker on it so I have a feeling it just came from AliExpress or something similar. He knows I am into audio and this thing looks nice with the orange outlets in a nice aluminum case. But I think it best to just get something that has been rated for what I am using it for. I think a UPS will be best with all the power outages we have anyway. Thanks for the reply.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am in NY. The fuse holder only says 250v. There is no UL certification sticker on it so I have a feeling it just came from AliExpress or something similar. He knows I am into audio and this thing looks nice with the orange outlets in a nice aluminum case. But I think it best to just get something that has been rated for what I am using it for. I think a UPS will be best with all the power outages we have anyway. Thanks for the reply.
For something sold in the US and rated at 250 volts, screams of made wiring in China. I doubt that unit is even legal. Since the heating effect of power draw is only current dependent and by the square of the current at that. So that unit will be built for only half the current load it will get in the US.

That unit need to go to the recycling center, and certainly not used to power a high power amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis