EQ for Denon AV receiver...

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
Hello all, been a while since being on here last. I have kind of a general question.

I currently own a Denon AVR-X1200W. Been using it for years for my 5.1 surround

Two summers ago I decided to install some Dayton audio outdoor IO655BT 6.5 speakers. I use the Denon app (it is not great) to control my "two room" audio. Outdoor speakers sound great, but I've noticed when I push them a little, they're very mid heavy. Within the Denon settings, there is no manual EQ control. Obviously it has Odyssey to help setup your zone 1. But zone 2 (my patio), you don't have that luxury. Its basically the sound is "you get what you get". Is it possible to hook up an external EQ so I can manipulate (somewhat) how my speakers outdoor sound?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hello all, been a while since being on here last. I have kind of a general question.

I currently own a Denon AVR-X1200W. Been using it for years for my 5.1 surround

Two summers ago I decided to install some Dayton audio outdoor IO655BT 6.5 speakers. I use the Denon app (it is not great) to control my "two room" audio. Outdoor speakers sound great, but I've noticed when I push them a little, they're very mid heavy. Within the Denon settings, there is no manual EQ control. Obviously it has Odyssey to help setup your zone 1. But zone 2 (my patio), you don't have that luxury. Its basically the sound is "you get what you get". Is it possible to hook up an external EQ so I can manipulate (somewhat) how my speakers outdoor sound?
I've had a look at the specs for the Denon AVR-x1200W. Unfortunately, your receiver doesn't have preouts for zone 2. It's therefore impossible to connect an equalizer neither external amps..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Zone 2 likely has only bass/treble tone controls .... have you checked the setup menu General - Zone 2 Setup?

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
I have. and, as I suspected (and as mentioned above), I do not.

So with that said, can you tell me the terminology I should look for in my next AV receiver that will give me the ability to tune manually (especially zone 2).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have. and, as I suspected (and as mentioned above), I do not.

So with that said, can you tell me the terminology I should look for in my next AV receiver that will give me the ability to tune manually (especially zone 2).
My Denons, 3 models, all further up the model food chain than yours, all have that tone control option for zone 2 (and all mine have pre-outs for zone 2, too). I'm not sure how well the manual mentions that....I'd have to revisit those manuals.

I just looked at the rear panel and you do appear to have zone 2 preouts despite what verdinut says....you could use an eq and external amp (or some sort of external amp with eq)....https://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1200W/NA/EN/WBSPSYwadwfjyg.php

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My Denons, 3 models, all further up the model food chain than yours, all have that tone control option for zone 2 (and all mine have pre-outs for zone 2, too). I'm not sure how well the manual mentions that....I'd have to revisit those manuals.

I just looked at the rear panel and you do appear to have zone 2 preouts despite what verdinut says....you could use an eq and external amp (or some sort of external amp with eq)....https://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1200W/NA/EN/WBSPSYwadwfjyg.php
Denon refer to a Zone 2 connecting to speakers with the Assign Mode, but no mention about preouts:

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
I just checked and sure enough, I have Zone 2 pre outs on the back. Since I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about this I have some questions...

1) how would I make it work? what do I need in order to make it work?
2) if I were to utilize those pre outs I assume the speakers stay plugged into back of receiver where they already are, an EQ would just manipulate sound to those connections?
3) are these products that I'm going to need small, big? can they be easily hidden out of sight?
4) What can I expect once done? I know the receiver itself has built pre made ones like 5 channel, jazz, arena etc. Is that I would have from a product in zone 2. Or would be an actual EQ where I set the parameters to my liking?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It does have preouts, but if adding EQ and and amp, maybe consider different speakers instead?
1000003304.jpg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The pre out is simply for Zone 2 signal output to an external device/amp. It does not work like a tape loop into an equalizer featured in older receivers.

Do you use both Zones simultaneously or always separately? There are some settings tweaks you can use here to adjust the sound to outdoor speakers without any new external devices.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm surprised the HEOS app doesn't have EQ, but the cheapest solution is adding a streamer like the WiiM pro, it has EQ via the app and also serves as a endpoint for roon, all under $150.

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
The pre out is simply for Zone 2 signal output to an external device/amp. It does not work like a tape loop into an equalizer featured in older receivers.

Do you use both Zones simultaneously or always separately? There are some settings tweaks you can use here to adjust the sound to outdoor speakers without any new external devices.
Yes, they do get used at the same time every so often. Wife might be inside watching tv while I'm outdoors.

what do you mean by "setting tweaks"? I only ask because I have been all through the Denon menu and I see nothing to tune Zone 2

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
I'm surprised the HEOS app doesn't have EQ, but the cheapest solution is adding a streamer like the WiiM pro, it has EQ via the app and also serves as a endpoint for roon, all under $150.
I'm not using HEOS

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or the wiim amp, and it has eq.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

You could put something like a minidsp before an amp on the preouts...

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
Or the wiim amp, and it has eq.
Does this app work through my Denon receiver and my wired outdoor speakers? I currently use the Denon remote app and mainly use Pandora when outside.

I guess I'm confused how an app can have an EQ that I can manipulate, but its piggy backing an AV receiver that doesn't have a manual EQ. So if the receiver doesn't have an EQ currently, how can an app allow me to set a better EQ for my outdoor speakers?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Does this app work through my Denon receiver and my wired outdoor speakers? I currently use the Denon remote app and mainly use Pandora when outside.

I guess I'm confused how an app can have an EQ that I can manipulate, but its piggy backing an AV receiver that doesn't have a manual EQ. So if the receiver doesn't have an EQ currently, how can an app allow me to set a better EQ for my outdoor speakers?
Did you look at the product yet? It's a streaming *amp* with EQ features.

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
Did you look at the product yet? It's a streaming *amp* with EQ features.
I'm actually watching YT videos of it now.

I thought it worked along with the AVR. But its a separate system altogether. This might be an option

I guess part of my issue is I really want to utilize the Zone 2 function of my AVR, which I've been doing. I just hate the lack of control I have while using it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis