Desktop upgrade (Kef LX/Genelec)

Matt34

Matt34

As much as I have enjoyed my JBL LSR 305's over the years, one if them has unfortunately developed a intermittent static issue. I've done some troubleshooting to eliminate the TRS and power cables as well as the scarlett 2i2. So I'm currently looking at the Genelec 8030d or the Kef LX to replace them. I like the Kef because it will simplify the setup and make it easy to add the Arendal 1723 1S I have sitting around. The Genelec's make thing a bit more complicated (and expensive) if I want to add a home audio sub.

Who here uses the Kef's and how to you like them?
Is anyone using Genelecs with a traditional home audio sub?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would guess that the Genelec would have a slight dynamic range advantage, but if you don't blaze the volume, that won't matter. Vanatoo and Kanto also have some worthwhile stuff to consider in this space.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
As much as I have enjoyed my JBL LSR 305's over the years, one if them has unfortunately developed a intermittent static issue. I've done some troubleshooting to eliminate the TRS and power cables as well as the scarlett 2i2. So I'm currently looking at the Genelec 8030d or the Kef LX to replace them. I like the Kef because it will simplify the setup and make it easy to add the Arendal 1723 1S I have sitting around. The Genelec's make thing a bit more complicated (and expensive) if I want to add a home audio sub.

Who here uses the Kef's and how to you like them?
Is anyone using Genelecs with a traditional home audio sub?
You should be able to diagnose this by testing each driver separately and using another speaker to test the JBL electronics, if you have another speaker. If not, I would go to Goodwill to see if they have something you could use- if the static sound occurs at low to moderate volume as well as high volume, it should be a good method.

SO, the JBLs do this without the Focusrite in the system?

I listened to the KEF wireless version and was impressed by the low end but the highs seemed lacking, although I had them set up across the room near my main speakers. I thought they sounded much better near-field.

I have only listened to Genelec a few times, but they sounded really good and weren't fatiguing.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, Kali monitors, though they don't have a sub-out. But they are 1/2 price (or even less) than your other choices.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Also, Kali monitors, though they don't have a sub-out. But they are 1/2 price (or even less) than your other choices.
Yeah, he could get a pair of IN-5 and a WS-6.2 sub for a little more than the KEF LSX or a little less than the price of the Genelec 8030 :)

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I have a friend who has the KEF LSX IIs, and they are amazing little speakers. Very full sound with smooth, yet detailed highs.

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'm curious about the in-5. I'm all for getting another pair of studio monitors. I would just like to be able to use the Arendal sub with whatever I get. I do have a minidsp HD 2x4 I could use with some xlr to rca cables I suppose.
Sorry, I suck and didn't notice you already had the Arendal sub. You can definitely make it work though! I love my IN-8s and would have been more than happy enough with the 5s. They’re worth checking out :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis