Dayton 18 into a velodyne cabinet?

G

getgray

Audiophyte
I've got an older Velodyne HGS 18 that's having some issues. Need to get a new sub. I've been happy with it's output. Wondering if retrofitting a Dayton 18" driver (RSS460HO-4 18" Reference Series) and their larger plate amp into it would work? Cost of those is approaching a Rythmik 18 but it's a nice cabinet, hate to scrap it. Opinions?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've got an older Velodyne HGS 18 that's having some issues. Need to get a new sub. I've been happy with it's output. Wondering if retrofitting a Dayton 18" driver (RSS460HO-4 18" Reference Series) and their larger plate amp into it would work? Cost of those is approaching a Rythmik 18 but it's a nice cabinet, hate to scrap it. Opinions?
That does not work. A cabinet has to be modelled in terms of volume and porting for a specific driver. The Thiele/Small parameters of a driver determine precisely the specification of the box. If small amounts of mistuning spell disaster for the results.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Why do you think it's a driver issue vs amp issue?
Those Velodyne subs used a motional feedback system with a sensor on the driver. The driver and amp are a unit, and one can not be separated from the other. So it makes no difference if it is the amp or speaker, the unit is toast.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I figured as much. Thanks.
It's a sealed sub. I would try to find the internal volume and see what drivers would bet compatible and fit in addition to getting another Plate amp. You could simply remove the old if it's cut out is standard. If not you could still remove it and easily create a blank to fit new.

Is the cabinet still aesthetically pleasing?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Just looked and the Velodyne looks to be ~3.6 cubic feet. So the Dayton you are looking at, if it physically will drop in would work.

If the cost is approaching a new Rythmik? I would just get new.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's a sealed sub. I would try to find the internal volume and see what drivers would bet compatible and fit in addition to getting another Plate amp. You could simply remove the old if it's cut out is standard. If not you could still remove it and easily create a blank to fit new.

Is the cabinet still aesthetically pleasing?
Or just an external amp if can't find a plate amp that fits.....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Those Velodyne subs used a motional feedback system with a sensor on the driver. The driver and amp are a unit, and one can not be separated from the other. So it makes no difference if it is the amp or speaker, the unit is toast.
I have a DD-15, the plate amp failed one year after ownership. Velodyne sent me a new amp, easy peasy replacement. Completely separate from the driver. It's worked fine ever since ......

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I figured as much. Thanks.
I have just modelled that 18" Ultimax driver in your 3.6 cu.ft box and the 6.5 cu.ft. optimal box. The models are attached. The top file is your box and the lower one the optimal box.

This driver is for sealed application.

The 3.6 cu ft box has significant compromise.

The Qt of that driver is on the high side at 0.7 and in your box total Q is 0.785. In the optimal box of 6.5 cu.ft. it is 0.707. That may not sound like much but when you get a Qts of around 8 or higher the bass in not tight.

The bigger issue is that in the smaller 3.6 cu.ft. box the pressure gets so high that cone excursion flattens out, and does not increase. So that means you can apply more power, but the sound output does not increase. This could result in driver failure if you pushed it into this range.

As with all sealed boxes the F3 is high and so a 12 db per octave boost has to be applied below 35 Hz, and then high passed at 18 to 20 Hz. So you need a plate amp with boost.

This 1000 watt plate amp would do the job.

The problem as I see it, is that there is significant cost to this project and if you use your existing box, the final result is sub optimal, although not dreadful. However the funds might be better put on a new sub. That is for you to decide.

Attachments

jinjuku

jinjuku

Yep. For the cost involved just get a new sub all the way around.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis