Atmos speakers in a cathedral ceiling

P

paulwgraber

Audioholic Intern
I know this isn't ideal but I am mounting my Atmos speakers in a cathedral angled ceiling. So my questions is should I spread them further apart to make up for the downward angle so that they are firing where they should be if they were mounted on a flat surface?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another thought is to make the speaker angled to offset the angled ceiling, something like the SVS Prime Elevation speakers?

P

paulwgraber

Audioholic Intern
I already have purchased the speakers, Monoprice Alpha 6.5 in. They have to be inceiling. I cant have a speaker box mounted on the ceiling.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those have a 15 degree angle, what's the angle of your ceiling? Pics perhaps?

P

paulwgraber

Audioholic Intern
Those have a 15 degree angle, what's the angle of your ceiling? Pics perhaps?
I just noticed the speaker inside is angled . Your right. So I was mounting them straight in line with my FR and FL according to the Dolby “textbook”. So the angle of my ceiling is about 30 degrees. Seating position basically under the fan but back a touch.

Attachments

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I just noticed the speaker inside is angled . Your right. So I was mounting them straight in line with my FR and FL according to the Dolby “textbook”. So the angle of my ceiling is about 30 degrees. Seating position basically under the fan but back a touch.
Most receiver manuals show the ceiling speakers in line with the FR and FL but the Dobly spec does allow for some leeway in placement. General opinion that I have read here is that you want the speakers pointed at the main listening position if possible. Take the 15 degree angle of the speaker into account and try and aim the tweeters at the main listening position with the speakers as close to being in line with the FR and FL as you can manage.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis