4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Godzilla Minus One 2023 4K ATMOS BD.

Video- shot using the 6K Sony Venice IMAX digital camera, so it’s great. It also won Best Visual Effects at the Oscars this year.

Audio- Reference ATMOS quality. Period. They made good use of the overhead speakers and all speakers from beginning to end.

Story- excellent. By far I think this is the best Godzilla movie ever made in terms of writing and story. This movie is really a DRAMA piece, except for when Godzilla is on screen. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
hahaha heck no! Leave The good, the bad and the ugly alone!!!

Any changes to the source is never good. Using AI to manipulate (IE-adding DNR or other) is actually ruining the video source. We are not seeing the movie as it should be. Upscaling to 4k and removing some film grain (assuming it was shot on film) is a-okay to do. Adding HDR is a-okay. Nobody wants to see waxy looking people. Nobody uses 6-8k cameras today and shoots digitally to get a waxy look. Cameron hasn't excepted that he shot on film and wishes all his old movies looked like digital. It's like George Lucas going in changing/adding all the stuff to his original movies because he didn't have the technology when it was originally made. Don't ruin the originals! :D :)
AGREE 100%. Like those old films

From the movie: You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My Crow 4K showed up last night and I watched it. Video is still very grainy in some spots, not surprising given the age and the fact that that is how it looked back then; there are a lot of dark scenes (I saw it opening night), but it is the best I think I've seen it. The audio is the same as the previous release, dts HD-MA, and sounds pretty good overall.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The Crow 4k (Physical Disc)

PQ-This is the best the movie has ever looked. They did a great job cleaning it up. You'd almost think this movie was shot within the last few years. There are a few scenes with red that really pop. Otherwise, we all know this movie is on the darker side. Closeup shots looked really good and we are able to see plenty of details.

SQ-Not that great. In my opinion. It's the same 5.1 from the blu ray. I really think they should've added an Atmos track. I wanted to have a more engulfing sounding experience and unfortunately this sound mix was not that. Explosions were weak sounding and there was very little background noise. This movie is almost all front loaded. I usually have normal movie listening levels around -20db, I had to turn it up another -5db to really hear more atmospheric noise and get a little bit more oomph to the explosions.

Overall- The Crow was a 90's staple movie. I was only 10 when it hit theaters in 1994, so I wasn't able to experience the theater version, but I have seen this movie on VHS, DVD, Blu Ray and now 4k. This 4k is hands down the best edition of the bunch. I'm rating The Crow a solid 8/10 movie. If you're a fan, order this movie now! :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Crow 4k (Physical Disc)

PQ-This is the best the movie has ever looked. They did a great job cleaning it up. You'd almost think this movie was shot within the last few years. There are a few scenes with red that really pop. Otherwise, we all know this movie is on the darker side. Closeup shots looked really good and we are able to see plenty of details.

SQ-Not that great. In my opinion. It's the same 5.1 from the blu ray. I really think they should've added an Atmos track. I wanted to have a more engulfing sounding experience and unfortunately this sound mix was not that. Explosions were weak sounding and there was very little background noise. This movie is almost all front loaded. I usually have normal movie listening levels around -20db, I had to turn it up another -5db to really hear more atmospheric noise and get a little bit more oomph to the explosions.

Overall- The Crow was a 90's staple movie. I was only 10 when it hit theaters in 1994, so I wasn't able to experience the theater version, but I have seen this movie on VHS, DVD, Blu Ray and now 4k. This 4k is hands down the best edition of the bunch. I'm rating The Crow a solid 8/10 movie. If you're a fan, order this movie now! :)
I saw it opening night, Friday the 13th. It has always been a favorite of mine.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dune 2 came. I was interrupted with some work lol, but my initial impression after about ~30 min is, this is the best Atmos I've ever heard. Bass is pretty solid all around too. Can't wait to finish it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis