Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
This is the reason I don't buy Samsung products. I've either sold and/or supported them since 2007, and have never cared for the way they do things on the software side of things. Hardware is usually pretty great, but the software ruins it. Granted, this very much depends on the product.

I can only imagine what goes wrong with their appliances.
from Consumer Reports their washers had transmission issues I think I had read.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
My sister had problems with her Samsung washer and dryer and advised me to avoid them.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Look further- their fridges have been failing for quite awhile and it looks like a class action lawsuit is coming because the compressor failures haven't been handled well. I don't know how they do with laundry but if I were looking for this, I would probably go with something by Amana/etc brands- My Amana fridge and range have been great, other than the starting cap/relay being rather expensive for what it is.
Our LG front loader has been running fine for 9 years so far... no complaints!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… I don't know how they do with laundry but if I were looking for this, I would probably go with something by Amana/etc brands- My Amana fridge and range have been great, other than the starting cap/relay being rather expensive for what it is.
Amana, like so many other American appliance makers, is now owned by Whirlpool.

"In 1997, the company was purchased by Goodman Global (now part of Daikin North America), a heating-and-cooling manufacturer which sold it to Maytag (now part of Whirlpool) in 2002. Goodman still owns Amana's air conditioner and furnace division, and Amana home appliances are now owned and manufactured by the Whirlpool Corporation."

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Amana, like so many other American appliance makers, is now owned by Whirlpool.

"In 1997, the company was purchased by Goodman Global (now part of Daikin North America), a heating-and-cooling manufacturer which sold it to Maytag (now part of Whirlpool) in 2002. Goodman still owns Amana's air conditioner and furnace division, and Amana home appliances are now owned and manufactured by the Whirlpool Corporation."
I know- think I bought my Amana stuff around the time of the purchase.

I also bought Goodman furnaces and used the installer finder on the seller's site to have one of them installed, the other needed to be checked and signed off by a contractor because the city where I live changed their requirements. Some of the installers dumped on Goodman for things they clearly didn't know about and it seemed that they were just PO'd because they couldn't make the money on sales. Personally, if my business could make a chunk of money by installing HVAC by referral from a website, especially when business is slow, I would be jumping on the opportunity.

I have only replaced a vacuum switch on one furnace and repaired the rubber line to the vacuum switch on the other- they have worked flawlessly for 20 years. Goodman also owns several other brands and really, most of the components used by HVAC brands are the same or very similar.

highfigh

highfigh

Our LG front loader has been running fine for 9 years so far... no complaints!
I don't see <10 years as 'long life'. There's not much need for high precision, they need to be durable and these are included in the category known as 'durable goods', but many aren't. They're supposed to work for three years minimum and as an example, LG refrigerator compressors are failing in large numbers.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
We bought our house in 1998, including the appliances. The washer and dryer are Maytags and I'm guessing were about 10 years old when we moved in. Over the last 26 years, I have replaced the dryer belt (10 years ago), blower impeller (5 years ago) and the belt tensioner (a few weeks ago). I have had to do nothing with the washer. I won't be replacing them until I absolutely have to.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I don't see <10 years as 'long life'. There's not much need for high precision, they need to be durable and these are included in the category known as 'durable goods', but many aren't. They're supposed to work for three years minimum and as an example, LG refrigerator compressors are failing in large numbers.
Can't talk to that.... a previous Miele front loader, is still working after 20 years....
My Mum's Asko front loader has rusted out a side panel (due to being in a leaky shed rather than inside the house!) - but is still running perfectly after 30 years.
The LG's weren't around that long ago, and after a Fisher&Paykel top loader failed (after circa 20 years) - we replaced it with the LG front loader.

I'll be happy to report results on the LG in 10 years time. But right now, it has achieved its initial goal - 10 years with no issues at all, running like new. (something which sadly is not that common in consumer products nowadays!)

Also of Note: I am in Australia... a bunch of the North American brands do not exist here, for better or for worse... although some of them have been imported in spurts over the decades... we had GE fridges for a long time, but no longer, Amana fridges for a while - now gone, etc....
The European and Asian brands have been consistent here since the 1980's (when I first started paying attention to this!)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Can't talk to that.... a previous Miele front loader, is still working after 20 years....
My Mum's Asko front loader has rusted out a side panel (due to being in a leaky shed rather than inside the house!) - but is still running perfectly after 30 years.
The LG's weren't around that long ago, and after a Fisher&Paykel top loader failed (after circa 20 years) - we replaced it with the LG front loader.

I'll be happy to report results on the LG in 10 years time. But right now, it has achieved its initial goal - 10 years with no issues at all, running like new. (something which sadly is not that common in consumer products nowadays!)

Also of Note: I am in Australia... a bunch of the North American brands do not exist here, for better or for worse... although some of them have been imported in spurts over the decades... we had GE fridges for a long time, but no longer, Amana fridges for a while - now gone, etc....
The European and Asian brands have been consistent here since the 1980's (when I first started paying attention to this!)
Don't you have large appliance manufacturers in your country?

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Don't you have large appliance manufacturers in your country?
Electrolux manufactures locally, and has several brands some of which it imports, others it manufactures locally.... it's brands here are: Electrolux, AEG, Westinghouse, Simpson, Kelvinator, Chef and Dishlex

As the only local manufacturer they dominate the bottom end of the market... and compete primarily with European and Asian brands in the mid and upper market segments.

Westinghouse fridges in my family have had good long term reliability... Mum's fridge has been in use for around 17 years now... and it replaced another Westinghouse fridge that had been in use for many many years before that - replaced as part of a major renovation, not due to failure.

Some of those brands originated in the USA.... eg: Westinghouse - but the Australian brand has been Electrolux (European) owned for many decades.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I have heard good things about Electrolux, Bosch and Miele.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The guy that delivered my LG washer and dryer said that he repairs washers and dryers and that the new ones are great, but that many metal parts have been replaced with plastic causing failures that normally wouldn't occur. Our old ones were pure metal mechanical from GE that were 17 or so years old. They started messing up our clothes or we would have kept them.

My LG stuff has been excellent so far, but time will tell how long they'll actually last.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
We bought our house in 1998, including the appliances. The washer and dryer are Maytags and I'm guessing were about 10 years old when we moved in. Over the last 26 years, I have replaced the dryer belt (10 years ago), blower impeller (5 years ago) and the belt tensioner (a few weeks ago). I have had to do nothing with the washer. I won't be replacing them until I absolutely have to.
My grandpa used to sell Maytag before they got bought out, and that era of Maytag is practically indestructible.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
My grandpa used to sell Maytag before they got bought out, and that era of Maytag is practically indestructible.
The laundromat I used to go to decades ago had the old classic Maytag washers and dryers. They were army tanks, they were bullet proof. I never saw an "Out of Order" sign on any of them.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I considered Electrolux, Bosch or Miele, but a tech talked me out of it.

highfigh

highfigh

The guy that delivered my LG washer and dryer said that he repairs washers and dryers and that the new ones are great, but that many metal parts have been replaced with plastic causing failures that normally wouldn't occur. Our old ones were pure metal mechanical from GE that were 17 or so years old. They started messing up our clothes or we would have kept them.

My LG stuff has been excellent so far, but time will tell how long they'll actually last.
I bought my house in '95 and it came with Kenmore washer & dryer. The washing machine still works well, although I think the suspension for the basket is becoming weak and it was fairly old when I bought the house. Someday, I'll check the serial number to find its age but I think it's probably more than 45 years old. The Whirlpool fridge I moved into the house was ALWAYS ridiculously loud and it would wake me at all hours- when I did a remodel/rehab, I blocked off a doorway from the kitchen and insulated the wall so I could put it in that corner, mainly because I was removing the common wall between the kitchen and living room, which would have made the noise worse- I don't always like to close the BR door. I replaced the old fridge with an Amana and that one is on the opposite end of the SPL range- it's great, aside from the 'starting device' problem and I didn't feel like being hosed on such a simple repair, so I finally found a video that showed how to test the compressor before spending money on a part that may not be needed in the event that it was actually the compressor causing the problem.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis