Wanted: Receiver recommendation

B

bakkam

Audiophyte
I had a Sherwood RX-4503 receiver (I purchased this used for US $40) that worked very well in my apartment but crapped out; so I am in the market for a new receiver.

My set up is this. Two Wharfedale EVO 4.2 three way bookshelf speakers from Crutchfield and one 15 year old Kenwood subwoofer. I connect my desktop computer to the receiver using the audio jack on the computer and to the TV using a HDMI cable to watch Netflix movies. I prefer an all rounder receiver, that can be used for audio and video (2 subwoofer connections are preferred). My budget is about $1000 but its not set in stone.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A more modern receiver will have hdmi for both audio and video as well as a sub pre-out (or two, if it only has one, a splitter will work fine). You want used again or this is for new? Did you look for any candidates at all?

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Denon DRA-900H. HDMI inputs and 2 sub outputs. Plus plenty of other features for a music and 2.2 TV setup. 100 WPC to power your speakers. I’ve had a good experience with Denon receivers over the years. $800 at Crutchfield. You can buy and return for a minimal fee if you’re not happy.
IMG_4173.jpeg

B

bakkam

Audiophyte
A more modern receiver will have hdmi for both audio and video as well as a sub pre-out (or two, if it only has one, a splitter will work fine). You want used again or this is for new? Did you look for any candidates at all?
Modern (as opposed to vintage) receiver is preferable. I could have tried out Denon AVR-X3600H since it was favorably reviewed at this site and one more popular site. However, Crutchfield doesn't sell this anymore because its out of stock. I wondered if there is anything that is equivalent to this.

Last edited:
B

bakkam

Audiophyte
Denon DRA-900H. HDMI inputs and 2 sub outputs. Plus plenty of other features for a music and 2.2 TV setup. 100 WPC to power your speakers. I’ve had a good experience with Denon receivers over the years. $800 at Crutchfield. You can buy and return for a minimal fee if you’re not happy.
View attachment 66964
Thank you. I will look it up tomorrow on Crutchfield and search to see if there are any reviews of Denon DRA-900H

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
I had a Sherwood RX-4503 receiver (I purchased this used for US $40) that worked very well in my apartment but crapped out; so I am in the market for a new receiver.

My set up is this. Two Wharfedale EVO 4.2 three way bookshelf speakers from Crutchfield and one 15 year old Kenwood subwoofer. I connect my desktop computer to the receiver using the audio jack on the computer and to the TV using a HDMI cable to watch Netflix movies. I prefer an all rounder receiver, that can be used for audio and video (2 subwoofer connections are preferred). My budget is about $1000 but its not set in stone.

Thank you :)
Check out this site. Lots of good audio/video candy! New and Refurbished.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure, just a second/third opinion.
Personally I check out measurements of gear like that, but the subjective review part (aside from useful features/ergonomics) don't mean much. Here, Audiosciencereview and few others provide the measurements....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is a good site to compare the feature sets of receivers zkelectronics.com

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis