How far should my sub be from the wall?

• Thread starter cameron paterson
  • Start date
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I have one of these subs among others.

I need help with it. Its nearfield (about 6 feet from my couch.) On the left side of this sub its 8 inches away from the wall. The other side is 8 inches from an 18" sub. I like to point my subs towards the wall. How far away should the front of my sub be away from the wall? 1 foot? 2 feet? 3 feet? I like the bass bouncing off the wall! I see other guys putting their subs up front pointed forward in their theater rooms. Doesn't that sacrifice a lot of bass compared to pointing at the wall? What do you think the benefits are to pointed at a wall and pointed forward? Also should I have the port of the Devastator on top or on bottom?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Use a measurement mic and appropriate software and find out for your particular room/gear....

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I tried a mic and REW a long time ago but couldn't figure it out and gave up. What would the benefits be from 1 foot away to say 3 feet away?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tried a mic and REW a long time ago but couldn't figure it out and gave up. What would the benefits be from 1 foot away to say 3 feet away?
Hard to know particularly. Boundary reinforcement is what it is, there are various calculators you can use aside from actual measurements based on your specific room dimensions....but nothing anyone can particularly analyze without a lot more info from you. Generally twice the port diameter is judged to be fine as far as a distance from a boundary for vented subs....

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
So wait. The port in the Devastator is huge should it be like 3 feet away then? My other sub pointed at the wall has a 16" x 3" port so how far on that as well?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So wait. The port in the Devastator is huge should it be like 3 feet away then? My other sub pointed at the wall has a 16" x 3" port so how far on that as well?
As Lovin stated, there is no rule for placement, you either use the wall to boost bass (boundary reinforcement) or you don't. Using REW and the placement simulation isn't difficult and since every room is different, so is the best sub placement. Also that horn will play so loud you might not know if you're sitting in a null, lol.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Couldn't tell you about the Devastator, did you ask GSG?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I pointed the Dev right at my head and it sounds phenomenal. It doesn't need to bounce off the wall because its bouncing off the walls of the enclosure.

H

HuenEye

Enthusiast
REW is horrible for measuring bass response - I use a Velodyne SMS which gives far more accurate information than REW. John Atkinson said as much too.

Just put them in the corners and use room placement to increase or decrease bass response until you like the sound..

H

HuenEye

Enthusiast
Yes. REW doesn't measure what my ears tell me I'm hearing. Period. I have some pricey calibrated mics and when used with REW they give the same wrong result. My ears don't lie and neither do the vibrations I feel :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis