Adding an external power amplifier

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys what is the actual difference between low pass filter and crossover? I currently have my LPF set at 120hz, and my Crossover set at 80hz, are those good settings?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys what is the actual difference between low pass filter and crossover? I currently have my LPF set at 120hz, and my Crossover set at 80hz, are those good settings?
Every crossover point is either acoustical (natural roll-off of the driver)or electrical. High and low pass are electrical filters from the AVR/PrePro.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The LPF refers to the Low Pass Filter of the LFE channel exclusively in multichannel tracks such as Dolby or DTS 5.1/7.1. The LFE channel has a 120Hz ceiling and the LPF should be set at 120Hz to avoid clipping those signals in the LFE channel. Speakers crossed at say, 150Hz, will still have the signals below the crossover setting sent to the subwoofer for output along with the signals within the LFE channel. With an 80Hz setting for the other speakers, the subwoofer will output signals in the LFE Channel up to 120Hz and also the signals below the 80Hz crossover from other speakers. The speaker signals taper off at the crossover point rather than hit a hard wall like those in the LFE channel when they hit the 120Hz ceiling. The subwoofer crossover knob should be set at maximum when an AVP/AVR is handling the crossovers.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
The LPF refers to the Low Pass Filter of the LFE channel exclusively in multichannel tracks such as Dolby or DTS 5.1/7.1. The LFE channel has a 120Hz ceiling and the LPF should be set at 120Hz to avoid clipping those signals in the LFE channel. Speakers crossed at say, 150Hz, will still have the signals below the crossover setting sent to the subwoofer for output along with the signals within the LFE channel. With an 80Hz setting for the other speakers, the subwoofer will output signals in the LFE Channel up to 120Hz and also the signals below the 80Hz crossover from other speakers. The speaker signals taper off at the crossover point rather than hit a hard wall like those in the LFE channel when they hit the 120Hz ceiling. The subwoofer crossover knob should be set at maximum when an AVP/AVR is handling the crossovers.
Okay thank you I'll leave the settings as is and I assume LFE [not lfe+main] is the correct setting. My subs don't have a knob on the back but things are controlled in the app or avp. I'll look there and see if I can turn it to maximum.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The LFE+Main setting is for use with Front Speakers set to Large. Without it, two channel signals would be sent only to the Front speakers and the subwoofer would get no signal. This is also the case when using Direct mode as it essentially sets the speakers to Large and they get a Full Band signal. Some like Direct mode for two channel signals and they will need to set the subwoofer setting to LFE+Main. Those using a crossover for ALL of the speakers need only use the LFE Subwoofer setting. The subwoofer will get the signals below the crossover setting regardless of the number of channels in the signal. The 80Hz crossover works for many. Some may find too little bass output from the subwoofer while some may find too much from it with different signals. One can adjust the crossover to their liking when they feel the right combination of bass output from the speakers in combination with the subwoofer has been reached.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
The LFE+Main setting is for use with Front Speakers set to Large. Without it, two channel signals would be sent only to the Front speakers and the subwoofer would get no signal. This is also the case when using Direct mode as it essentially sets the speakers to Large and they get a Full Band signal. Some like Direct mode for two channel signals and they will need to set the subwoofer setting to LFE+Main. Those using a crossover for ALL of the speakers need only use the LFE Subwoofer setting. The subwoofer will get the signals below the crossover setting regardless of the number of channels in the signal. The 80Hz crossover works for many. Some may find too little bass output from the subwoofer while some may find too much from it with different signals. One can adjust the crossover to their liking when they feel the right combination of bass output from the speakers in combination with the subwoofer has been reached.
Thanks again! yeah I'll leave it as LFE then. apparently Marantz must have done an update recently, because there's no "large or small" settings. I had to dig around in the crossover settings and it just says "full range" but I left it on 80 Hertz instead.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks again! yeah I'll leave it as LFE then. apparently Marantz must have done an update recently, because there's no "large or small" settings. I had to dig around in the crossover settings and it just says "full range" but I left it on 80 Hertz instead.
Full range is "large", and xover can still be relevant for lpf when using LFE+Main

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis