A little veneer work

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
These are coming out nicely. I will let them age a bit and do some toner work to blend everything better. It's not bad now, but they could be improved further on down the road. Only the first coat of gel poly, over 2 coats of thinned shellac as a sanding sealer. There is some minor flaws but I mind them less now that the top coats are going on. It's 90 here today, but only 40% humidity so I went for it. I had to stain the edges of the wood backed veneer with a q-tip, where the backing (white, in contrast) was showing strong in the round-overs. Otherwise, the rest of it is finished natural.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Finished. Some minor touchups after the poly cures for a week or so. Need a little thicker weather strip for the woofers. The 1/16" I had did actually compress but I could use 3/16" for a better fit.

Most noticeable difference being is these cabinets don't vibrate at all. Most noticeable at higher volumes. I had one of each the old and new in play and made that comparison. Stock cabinet vibrates significantly more than the thicker, braced remodels. Audible difference? It would have to be something measurable, but likely not audible. Mostly because the stock ones sound fine too.

These things are CHUNKY. They have added heft, which I would expect from a 175W, full range, 8" 3-way that thumps like these do. It was that chest-punchy mid bass that compelled me to beef and brace these up. They don't feel like budget speakers and they gained 4# in the process. The design is dated, and the cabinets are just imperfect enough to look the part. In other words, it doesn't look 'too' good to be in with all my other humble surroundings and possessions. Plus my subs are wrapped in the same cherry veneer so now I can mix and match all my speakers and subs.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
They look beautiful congratulations! Let us know how they sound.
Love the sound/feel of these. Perfect for someone who listens point blank near field as I do. They sound great in room too but not all speakers do both so it is more of a challenge to find really good studio monitors that aren't too analytical/sterile. These things image for days and even point blank like this does not dissolve the phantom center.

Add to that the placebo effect of the DIY bias and it makes me forget about upgrading, most likely until they die. These cover that middle to high power realm for me and now they look kinda cool and we all know how that adds to the sound quality. :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Quite the change from the original photo on page 3. Beautiful work as usual. Hope they give you years of enjoyment.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Quite the change from the original photo on page 3. Beautiful work as usual. Hope they give you years of enjoyment.
Thank you. They feel like new speakers. It also feels the same as completing a pair of kit speakers, with the advantage of knowing how they were going to sound before building them. Then knowing that these may be the nicest s38s in existence. I had William's in play the entire time I was building these.

I listened to them last night for about 6 hrs non-stop. Can't wait to do it again tonight. Talk about getting one's money's worth!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis