Denon DVD-3910 Underwood Mod
- Product Name: DVD3910 Audio Supplemental
- Manufacturer: Denon Electronics USA
- Performance Rating:
- Value Rating:
- Review Date: February 28, 2005 19:00
- MSRP: $ 2930
- Upgrade the I-V, ANALOG FILTER and OUTPUT BUFFER op amps with dual op amps from Analog Devices, mounted to special surface mount to surface mount vertical adapters. The 3910 Level 1 Mod uses (4) pcs. of these dual op amp upgrade modules.
- The output stage is biased into CLASS A.
- The output RCA jacks (1 pr.) to VAMPIRE RCA jacks, using a base material of OFC-Copper (3.5 times more conductive than brass), and direct gold-plated...no intermediate nickel-plating at all!
- Stock unit output signal currently exits via a miniscule tin/lead plated PCB trace. The mod uses (4) pcs of pure 99.999% 23-awg solid-core silver DH LABS wire...with foamed teflon tape-wrap insulated.
- The signal resistors (22 in all) are changed to Japanese made RIKEN OHM Carbon Comp type, with gold-plated copper leads (replacing cheap, magnetic, China-sourced, metal-film resistors).
- All critical caps are changed to Electrolytic types (2) for the new (2) AuriCap metallized polypropylene coupling caps + "paralleled" BLACK GATE FK-Series coupling caps (2), replacing the generic electrolytic caps in the stock unit.
- Precision 1% POLYSTYRENE film and tin foil caps (14) were used in the analog filter, replacing tantalum caps in the stock unit.
- The chassis resonances have been dampened with SOUNDCOAT (2 sheets - 1sq. ft.) and external vibrations have been isolated via (4) large compliant EAR sorbothane feet.
- The Power Supply and digital stages are been upgraded with (15) BLACK GATE FK, NX, STD series electrolytic caps (replacing cheap ceramic and/or generic electrolytics)...and all critical analog supply diodes (currently generic quality) have been replaced with ultra-fast soft-recovery FRED type diodes (4) Vishay-Telefunken and (5) International Rectifier HEXFREDs.
- WBT 4% silver solder throughout.
- The mod takes approximately 7-hours to complete.
- The price of the 2-channel Level-1 mod is $1050 to customer units
- New Level-1 modified machines are available for $2190
- Level-2 mod improves the unit even further by adding:
- Burr Brown OPA-627 Opamps in custom surface mounting boards.
- Two Rel-Cap TEFLON TFT-Exotica bypass caps are added.
- The price of the 2-channel Level-2 mod is $1250 to customer units
- New Level-2 modified machines are available for $2450 Other available upgrades
Other Available Mods
- To add an upgraded MASTER Reference Clock from either LC Audio or AudioCom will add another $480 USD installed (Clock, Custom Power Supply and Install Labor).
- To perform an equivalent L-2 quality center (3rd) channel mod, adds $600.00
- To do all 4 "additional" L-2 channels (3-6) would "bundle" together for $1900.
- To add a pair of BYBEE "Slipstream" Quantum Purifiers to the power supply (just after the AC line input) would add $180/pr., installed.
- State-of-the-art video connections including DVI and HDMI.
- State-of-the-art video processing, including upscaling to 480p, 720p and 1080i.
- Outstanding 2-channel audio playback quality.
- Plays both hi-rez audio formats, SACD and DVD-Audio.
- Compatible with virtually all current disc formats and file types.
- Considerable investment in light of upcoming Bluray and HD-DVD technologies.
- Remote not programmable and only partially backlit.
- Voids manufacturers warranty, however Underwood offers a 90 day warranty on the entire machine and one year on all their work