Von Schweikert VR2 Review
- Product Name: Von Schweikert VR2
- Manufacturer: Von Schweikert Audio
- Performance Rating:
- Value Rating:
- Review Date: March 23, 2004 19:00
- MSRP: $ 2495
Three-way, four driver system, with Transmission-line woofer design
40" (102cm) tall x 8" (20.3cm) wide x 16" (40.7cm) deep
66 lbs (30 kgs) raw, 85 lbs (38.6 kgs) with sand, 95 lbs (43 kgs) with lead shot.
Twin 165mm (6.5") composite cone Low-Distortion drivers.
1" (25mm) fabric dome tweeter with soft resin damping layers, Low Distortion motor, Ferrofluid liquid cooling/damping, and long-throw voice coil and motor assembly.
Dampening System Resonance Trap cavity provided for insertion of lead shot.
Global Axis Integration Network, 4th order slopes using cascaded 1st order filters at 200 Hz and 2.2 kHz. Polypropylene caps and air cored inductors are utilized. All drivers are connected in phase.
1" (25mm) soft dome tweeter with wave guide mounted at rear of the cabinet and Dimension Control for effects level adjustment, calibrated.
25 Hz to 25 kHz, -3dB (+/- 1 dB in the midrange)?
Sensitivity & Impedance
87.5 dB @ one watt/one meter, anechoic. 90 dB in room. 8 ohms nominal, 7 ohms low to 20 ohms high.
20 watts minimum power, 200 watts maximum r.m.s., 500 watts peak.
Five-way binding posts, fitted for 6mm spade lugs, with CE approved sheathing. Twin pairs are fitted, for bi-wiring or bi-amping. Jumper straps are supplied
Blond maple, dark red cherry, black ash, and African hazelwood
- Excellent driver placement
- Well braced, stiff cabinet construction
- Mass loading chamber for lead shot
- Plinth, spikes and coins are standard
- Adjustable rear ambience driver
- Veneered front, bottom and top
- Fine Craftsmanship on the cabinet, especially the veneer
- Tight bass
- Low profile grill locks
- Reduced Cost based on lighter cabinet design
- Requires careful setup and placement to maximize performance
- Requires lead shot and decoupling from floor to optimize performance
- Mid-Range seemed forward sounding during very loud volume listening levels.