MartinLogan Theos ESL Speakers Review
- Product Name: Theos
- Manufacturer: MartinLogan
- Performance Rating:
- Value Rating:
- Review Date: December 14, 2012 07:05
- MSRP: $ 4995
- Frequency Response: (+/- 3dB) 43Hz to 23,000Hz
- Horizontal Dispersion: 30°
- Vertical Dispersion: 44" (112cm) line source
- High Frequency Transducer: XStat™ CLS™ electrostatic transducer
- » Panel Dimensions: 44" × 9.2" (111.8 × 23.4cm)
- » Radiating Area: 405 in2 (2,616 cm2) (front and back)
- Low Frequency Transducer: 8" (20.3cm) cast basket, high excursion, aluminum cone with extended throw drive assembly, non-resonance asymmetrical chamber format, down-firing bass reflex port.
- Sensitivity: 90 dB/2.83 volts/meter
- Impedance: 4 Ohms, 0.8 at 20kHz.
- Recommended Amp Power: 20‒400 watts per channel
- Crossover Frequency: 425Hz
- Components: Custom-wound E-I core transformer, air core coils, polypropylene capacitors.
- Inputs: Custom bi-wire tool-less binding posts, bi-amp compatible
- Power Draw: Idle: < 1W/channel
: Max: 2W/channel
- Weight: 43 lbs. (19.5 kg)
- Dimensions: 59.3" × 10.7" × 18.8"
- Great looks
- Amazing detail and natural sound
- Controlled dispersion limits room interaction
- Need to be pulled out into the room farther than most speakers
- Have to register for full warranty
- Exposed panel means it is more easy damaged by stray children
According to a reviewer, finesse and transparency ... unbelievable dynamics, speed, transient attack and force ... simply glorious front-to-back depth ... clear and uncluttered, never losing their 'space', while blending seamlessly. Probably the most outstanding characteristic is the way the speakers simply disappear a familiar MartinLogan trait allied to simply glorious front-to-back depth. With live recordings of a 'known' stage or hall signature, the effect is nothing short of transcendent.
My standard for sound reproduction is accuracy, from years of listening to electrostatic headphones. My entire CD collection now sounds new, and filled with discoveries.
I am also impressed with the protective cardboard shipping cabinet, including two layers of gowns and foam buttresses, which protect M-L speakers in transit.
Bravo, Martin Logan for an exciting performance, every time.