B&W CM8 Floorstanding Speaker System Review
- Product Name: CM8 Floorstanding Speaker System
- Manufacturer: Bowers and Wilkins
- Performance Rating:
- Value Rating:
- Review Date: August 02, 2012 11:00
- MSRP: $ 1100/ea
System Type: 3-way ported floorstanding speaker with Flowport™ technology
Frequency Response: (±3dB) 69Hz - 22kHz
Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 30-150 watts
Sensitivity: (2.83V @ 1m) 88 dB
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Crossover Frequencies: 350Hz, 4000Hz. B&W specifies the CM8 as having a 1st order cross over for the tweeter. The FST midrange driver uses a 2nd order high-pass in conjunction with a 1st order low-pass design. The dual bass units use a 3rd-order low pass filter.
Low-Frequency Driver: Dual 5” (127mm) Paper/Kevlar
Midrange Driver: 5" (127mm) Kevlar FST™
High-Frequency Driver: 1" (25mm) aluminum dome
Dimensions incl base (H x W x D): 37.8" x 6.5" x 11"
Weight: 43 lb ea.
Finish of review samples: Satin White. Other finishes available are Wenge, Rosenut, Gloss Black
- Smooth, natural sound from a compact floorstander
- Can play very loud without audibly objectionable distortion
- Exceptionally silky high frequencies
- Slightly nasal character to midrange
- Foam plugs to “seal” port do not improve sound
- “Satin White” finish looks like counter-top Formica
Cartons = $54 each speaker
FST midrange = $123 each driver
Tweeter = $147 each driver
Woofers = $ 71 each driver
Plinth (body) = $117 each speaker
Crossovers = $163 each speaker
Grilles = $100 each speaker
And yes, very nice to see more reviews of the big brands.
Thanks for the links.
Side note on the actual speakers - the press photos make them look a lot wider than 6.5".
I don't see anything of the review past the introduction page.
anytime we change the publish date and post, it takes an hour or so for the page to cache out and show the other pages. It should appear, soon.