Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD Projector Review
By Clint DeBoer —
- Product Name: PT-AE700U LCD Projector
- Manufacturer: Panasonic
- Performance Rating:
- Value Rating:
- Review Date: October 30, 2005 19:00
- MSRP: $ 3199 (discontinued)
- Dynamic Iris optical system constantly adjusts the brightness and gamma characteristics in real time
- Cinema Color Management technology for faithful and accurate color representation
- Smooth Screen technology for smooth, film-like images
- 7 picture modes for customizing color adjustments
- 10-bit full digital processing and 10-bit gamma correction
- New Dynamic Sharpness Control adjusts video signal waveforms based on the difference in brightness of adjacent pixels
- Progressive Cinema Scan (3/2 pull down) and HD IP
- 1000 ANSI lumens
- Up to 2000:1 contrast ratio
- 1280 x 720 native HD resolution
- Widescreen native 16:9 aspect ratio (4:3 compatible)
- Vertical and horizontal lens shift (65% vertical, 24% horizontal)
- 2x optical zoom lens offers a wide range of throw distances and can project a 7-foot wide picture from as little as 10 feet to as far as 20 feet
- HDMI, component, composite, S-video, and RGB terminals
- Whisper quiet 26dB operation (in low mode)
- High Definition resolution.
- Quiet Fan.
- Lens Adjustment.
- No Screen Door Effect
- Simple Function Lighted Remote
- Difficult operating Instructions
- Poor initial calibration
The PT-AE700U offers great features, great color, good details, hi-def capabilities and ease of use - all for a fantastic price. When I compared this projector to some of the other high-end projectors I've seen, mostly DLP, the PT-AE700U doesn't quite fall into that category. But every time I think about the price, I realize that this is an incredible projector. If I didn't have the BenQ I would definitely and proudly consider this projector worthy of my reference theater. When you think about the hi-def television prices at $3000 and up for a digital display type limited to about 65 inches, you can get a lot more picture for a lot less money with the Panasonic. All in all, the amount of picture quality that is achieved from this projector makes it a great buy.