Anthem Statement D1 Q and A
Anthem was kind enough to answer some of our questions and fill out our A/V Processor Checklist with respect to the functionality of the Statement D1.
Q&A with Anthem Engineering
How and when Anthem plans on supporting DSD and DVD-A via i.link.
Anthem: Scheduled for end of this year, IEEE1394 will be added, and all AVM 20s, AVM 30s, and D1s can have the retrofit. DSD and DVD-A can both go over 1394 (HDMI is DVD-A only).
Will there be a DAC upgrade to AKM 4396?
Anthem: No. A white paper explaining various issues with DSD and PCM will appear on our site soon.
What are the plans for DVI/HDMI support?
Anthem: DVI - use HDMI/DVI adapter, audio sources will be assignable to HDMI inputs. HDMI - same as #1, details in Audioholics A/V Checklist.
Additional Notes From Anthem Engineering
Additional Notes: The Statement D1 is the world's first upsampling multichannel pre/pro (even DD /DTS go through the upsampling chain) - the upsampling provides elimination of digital noise byproducts (reduces them by 120 dB and up, and 120 dB is already below system noise).
- AES/EBU input
- Pro-quality A/D conversion via coax out
- Simulcast (select one video source and a different audio source)
- 3 zones plus two record loops (Zone 2 also has OSD via composite and s-video)
- Center channel EQ that we created by measuring how TV screens affect response (in Paradigm's anechoic chamber) and programming inverse curves in setup according to screen sizes
- Level matching for each audio inoput source
- Other extras include timers, triggers, and IR hub with 12V supply
Audioholics is looking forward to a more in depth investigation of the latest Anthem Statement product offering.
The Anthem Statement D1 SSP offers some very noteworthy features such as:
- Flexible bass management and configurability.
- High current +12V (200mA) triggered output.
- THX Ultra2 Certification and Processing.
- Balanced Outputs.
- Premium components.
- Multi room audio/video support.
- Room Resonance Filter.
- Bass management and
digital delay compensation on analog multichannel inputs.
Our "First Look" mini-review of the Anthem D1 will be updated regularly once we examine this A/V Processor in more detail.
Feel free to discuss the new Anthem D1 in our forums. Once the Anthem Statement D1 SSP is upgraded with active IEEE 1394 (i-Link), HDMI, DVI and/or proprietary interface, we are confident that the $5,000 Anthem D1 Preamplifier A/V Processor / Tuner will prove to be a noteworthy addition to the ever changing and highly competitive A/V Home Theater market. Either way you look at it, this is a hot platform with much potential for future expansion and should remain on your short shopping list when comparing high performance processors..
To understand the benefits of i.link / digital connection for DVD-A/SACD, please check out our commentary in the following review excerpt from the Yamaha RX-Z9.