HP Digital Entertainment Center
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
- Super Multi Double Layer HD DVD Recorder (with DVD+/-R/RW/RAM/ROM and CD+/-R/RW support)
- Dual NTSC TV tuners and single OTA ATSC HDTV tuner
- Pause, review and record TV shows with programmable record features
- Personal Media Drive bay (400GB removable drive)
- LightScribe Direct Disc labeling
- Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound
- Analogue 7.1 preamp surround sound outputs (for use with DolbyTrueHD and HD DVD discs)
- Front mounted AV connectors
- Front panel 9-in-1 media card reader
- Long range RF wireless keyboard with integrated trackball and separate full function remote
- Black brushed aluminum front panel with HP media info display
The demo of this unit was quite impressive and was shown along with HPs new md6583n DLP television . Now that CableCARD has been approved for Windows XP MCE, we will start seeing these devices able to function as dual-tuner HD DVRs. Add in an HD-DVD recordable device (not yet available) and you've got one impressive box. We may not be all that far away from seeing PCs in the living room after all, especially with both Microsoft and Intel (see our Intel VIIV coverage) working towwards making this a more useable and practical option.
Pricing and availability was not announced at the show, but look for this to hit the market after HD DVD is formally released later this year.
For more information, please visit www.hp.com .